Getting older does not mean that you have to slow down. Maintaining your independence is an integral part of your lifestyle, no matter your age, and continuing to exercise is part of it.
Exercise is vital to keep you healthy physically, psychologically, and emotionally. Nothing does this best than cycling; it takes you places, makes you sweat, but doesn’t put heavy stress on your body.
If you’re worried about balance issues, as most seniors understandably are, try an adult tricycle. With an adult tricycle, falling while riding, it is virtually impossible.
Adult tricycles are designed to improve significantly and rejuvenate those parts of the body that are often stiffened and swollen due to continual daily inactivity.
They energize tired and aching muscles while exposing you to life-giving sunlight and clean, fresh air. Regardless of age, there is a tricycle made just for you that will make you feel young again. Show the younger generation what adult living is all about on an adult tricycle.
After carefully reviewing the list of available features with pro’s and con’s, we have selected 11 best adult tricycles to recommend.
Among all the options available, Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle outshine other counterparts due to excellent features such as classic cruiser styling, full-wrap fenders, springer seat, and swept-back handlebars.
Best Adult Tricycles – 2022 Top Lists
If you are looking for a step-through bike designed for the elderly citizen, you may like to check out these lightweight and easy to handle bicycles offered in this post.
Adult Tricycle Reviews: An In-Depth Look
There is no single best tricycle for all. The trike you choose will depend on your needs, your budget, and your unique circumstances. Please take a look at our recommendations below, check out each model’s core features, its pros, and cons, and pick one that best suits you.
1. 26″ Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle – Best Selling Tricycle
Schwinn adult tricycle has been around for over a hundred years, and it’s one of the most trusted names. When it comes to the best adult trike, Schwinn also leads the competition.
The Meridian trike has many outstanding features, which include a super low standover an aluminum frame that allows step-through access for all, including those who are shorter in height.
The Schwinn Meridian is a simple, single-speed trike which makes it easy to use by both the beginners and the elderly.
The trike’s wide handlebars help you keep an upright position (thus avoiding muscle pain) while making you comfortable on the padded saddle. It is fully adjustable, too, so you don’t even need to worry about the height.
The trike has alloy rims and a lightweight aluminum frame, making your ride smooth and not requiring a lot of effort, it can bear easily 300 pounds. This gets even better with the rear-folding basket, which is huge and can help carry whatever gear you need.
Product Features of Schwinn Meridian Tricycle:
- Single-speed drivetrain
- Classic low stand, lightweight aluminum step-through frame
- The 26” alloy wheels have stainless spokes for durability
- Front and rear fenders
- Front and rear have linear-pull hand brakes to keep rides safe
- Wide and extra-large spring cruiser saddle
- Wide, sweptback upright handlebars
- A large rear basket
- The handlebars are made to offer control and enhance comfort and stability by making you maintain an upright posture.
- The large rear basket allows you to carry a lot of things, including your weekly groceries.
- The padded and quickly adjust seat keep you comfortable.
- The brake system offers you a secure ride and parking.
- The fenders help you ride in any kind of weather to keep clean and dry
- Easy to assemble.
- It’s convenient and durable.
- The fenders are flimsy.
- It has one gear which perfectly suits a smooth road. If you need to ride on hills, the single gear trike is not recommended.
Schwinn Meridian is recommended for adults due to its perfect combination of convenience, retro styling, and stability.
Its three heavy-duty wheels perform best on both the tarmac and off-road. Pedaling is made easy, too, when you don’t have to exert a lot of pressure.
All these factors make the Schwinn Meridian stand out as the best adult trike in the market today. For assured comfort and stability, there is nothing better.
All in all, this is a perfectly fine tricycle to consider. Click here for a full review of the Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle.
2. Raleigh Bikes Tristar 3 Speed Trike
If you are looking for a traditional cruise trike for your neighborhood ride or a run to the grocery store, the Raleigh Tristar is the one for you.
The Raleigh trike is great for you if you are between 5-6 feet tall, and you can use a 3-speed, internally-geared pivot to go over the bumpy roads as this reduces the maintenance cost. It further features a locking brake lever for security purposes when you need to pack the bike.
Compared to other trikes, the Raleigh Tristar is safe to use, whether it’s in a congested city street or residential areas because of its narrow back wheels that can maneuver traffic jams. Also, the brakes are designed to be responsive.
It has a 24” front wheel and 20” wheels at the back to help ensure your stability. The narrow back wheels make it easy to pass through your home doors in case you don’t have a garage.
Product Features of Raleigh Tristar:
- Steel step-through frame
- Alloy brake lever has locks for your packing options and a rear coaster brakes
- Alloy-rimmed wheels measuring 24” ×2.125 in the front and 20” × 2.125 in the back wheels
- A comfort tractor saddle seat
- A pro palm handlebar grip
- Nice blue or brown colors
- 3-speed gear
- The rear metal basket that can carry up to 45 pounds of goods
- Raleigh Tristar offers a 3-speed gear stable design.
- The large, steel step-through frame makes durable.
- The comfortable saddle keeps the ride smooth and enjoyable, even on dirt or road.
- It has an elegant look and design.
- The rear basket can carry a large number of groceries and other items.
- Trike comes with a warranty.
- The responsive brakes assure your safety when riding.
- Not easy to assemble.
- Some people find it complicated.
The rear metal basket is suitable for you to carry about 45 pounds of groceries (or other stuff), and it is made of rust-free material. The wide and padded comfort tractor spring saddle offers you comfort during your ride, however short or long it may be.
3. Schwinn 24″ Wheel Meridian Adult Tricycle
Cyclists trust the name Schwinn, given that the brand has been in the market for over 100 years. The 24” Schwinn trike is best suited for your neighborhood rides, picnics, daily routines, and when you need to carry goods from one place to another.
The trike has a low stand-over frame that is lightweight and easy to handle with innovative swept-back handlebars. It means you can quickly and comfortably reach the handlebar without having to stretch forward, thereby reducing the risk of suffering from shoulder or back pain.
The spring comfortable saddle is adjustable, which makes it appropriate for use by both short and tall people. The seat is large to allow for the comfort of both male and female structures.
The trike also has 2 rear reflectors on each of the 2 fenders to offer security, especially when riding at night. Furthermore, it has a large collapsible wire basket that can carry a lot of goods/groceries.
The 24” wheel has a high-quality alloy rim that’s lightweight and durable. This helps in making the ride smooth and comfortable. Moreover, the plastic pedals give your feet a tight and firm grip when cycling.
Product Features of Schwinn 24″ Meridian Tricycle:
- A classic low aluminum frame
- Cruiser-style of full wrap fenders and swept back handlebars
- 24” wheels with alloy rim
- Spring cruiser and large saddle that’s easily adjustable
- A large fold-down rear basket
- Single-speed trike
- Mechanical rim brake style for more control
- 2 light reflectors for greater protection during nighttime cycling
- The aluminum frame means the trike is lightweight.
- The handlebars that are closer to the body helps in maintaining an upright posture, thereby reducing fatigue and muscle pain.
- The alloy rims assure durability and extra strength.
- Ease when assembling the bike because the user guide is self-explanatory.
- For those who have back issues, this trike can offer a light physical activity for your back.
- The single speed is not appropriate if you have to ride on bumpy and hilly roads.
- The collapsible basket tends to spoil quickly because of the constant opening and collapsing.
The trike’s dimension of 31 (height) × 11 (length) × 51 (width) allows it a stability when riding and ease in parking. All these factors The 24” Schwinn, like the 26” Schwinn tricycle, is a single-speed trike which makes it suitable for the elderly or for people riding on flat grounds.
4. Mantis Tri-Rad Folding Adult Tricycle
The Mantis Tri-Rad is suitable for adults who wish to ride without having to struggle to carry a big tricycle.
Its most outstanding feature is being foldable, which means you can easily transport it as it transforms into a compact size when you need to carry it around.
The Mantis is an inexpensive tricycle that is good for a lot of things, from biking around the neighborhood, going to the groceries, or going on a road trip.
Unlike other trikes where the front wheel is usually wider and the back wheels narrower, the wheels of the Mantis are of the same size at 20” width.
Even hours of riding doesn’t reduce the comfort, too, since the seat is large and padded. The saddle is adjustable and movable, which makes it suitable for any height.
The Mantis has V-brake with a very responsive, easy-adjust steel stem and the folding steel frame with a steel suspension fork.
Product Features of Mantis Tri-Rad Folding:
- A folding steel frame with a steel suspension fork
- Wheels are 20×1.75 inches with aluminum rims and white Kenda tires
- A single speed gear and alloy linear pull brakes for the front as well as parking brakes
- Adjustable seats are constructed with vinyl, foam, and spring for enhanced comfort
- A rear basket with steel plastic coating, front fenders, and bell for the retro look
- A chain guard for security purposes
- Easy to transport trike because of the folding frame
- The folding frames make storage easy.
- The basket is great for groceries and gear.
- The low-cut frame makes it easy to get on and off.
- The wheels are great for shorter rides.
- You have the choice to accessorize the trike.
- The assembly instructions are not as clear, making it hard to assemble.
- The pivotal seat that is movable is uncomfortable for other people.
The trike has a rear basket that is convenient for carrying large amounts of goods or groceries. Overall, the Mantis Tri-Rad can carry a weight of up to 275 pounds. Although it can be folded, the structure is never disfigured.
The Mantis Tri-Rad is single speed, making it appropriate for flat places and mostly no hills.
5. 26″ Kent Alameda Adult Tricycle
The 26” Wheel Kent Alameda trike is suitable for anyone looking to have stability and balance during their ride, which includes beginners and those just learning how to ride a bike.
It is strong and durable, with a frame made of lightweight aluminum. It can support even up to 200 lbs comfortably.
The trike is good for exercising; the tendency to back or shoulder pain is minimized because its comfortable seat is made for lumbar back support. The front and rear brakes contribute to making you feel secure during your ride.
Product Features of Kent Alameda:
- The frame is lightweight aluminum
- A rear suspension with rear handbrakes to enhance safety
- Cruiser handlebar is well-suited for this bike
- 26” wheel size provides more stability
- A single-speed gear making it appropriate for riding in flat areas
- 26” alloy rims, Shimano Revo 7 speed shifter, a rear brake, and a fender for an all-weather condition ride
- The saddle is wide enough to be used by people of any size.
- The frame assures durability.
- The 3-wheel makes it stable.
- This is an entertaining way to exercise especially for the elderly.
- You can accessorize the trike if you want to.
- It is shorter, which may make it difficult for you to see more than a few vehicles ahead.
- It is a bit hard to turn compared to other bicycles.
The 26” wheels further enhance your stability and allow you to ride smoothly around town. You can easily use the trike for your school rides while making use of the rear basket to hold your school essentials. The large rear basket can also be used for your groceries.
The Kent Alameda provides stability, safety, and comfort needed by any rider.
Though, commuter bikes are more suitable for school commuting than a tricycle.
6. Ridgeyard 24″ 6 Speed 3 Wheel Tricycle
The beautiful frame and 6 speeds make this trike a pleasure to ride. Its 3 wheels enhance stability and mobility, and its tensile frame can carry a combined weight of about 300 lbs.
The front and rear fenders ensure you enjoy your ride in all-weather conditions. The 13×13-inch-wide and strong chrome handlebar provides a firm hand grip. The upright handlebar also maintains your posture upright together with the help of the backrest to balance.
It’s large, comfortable and padded spring cruiser saddle absorbs bumps and is fully adjustable, making it suitable for people of any height.
The 24×1.75×36 wheels with rustproof alloy rims are suitable for smooth and short rides. It has full wrap fenders, too, to help keep you clean and dry. The large white rear basket can be used for groceries, school books, or any other gear.
Product Features of Ridgeyard Tricycle:
- A saddle is padded to absorb shocks on bumpy roads
- A handlebar is upright making it easy to maintain an upright posture
- A backrest that helps maintain your posture
- Seats are fully adjustable
- Foldable basket makes for a convenient ride
- Wide 24” wheels assure stability and smooth ride
- Alloy rims are durable and low cost, maintenance-wise
- The stand is relatively low for the easy hop on and off
- The saddle is large and adjustable, thus suiting every individual’s needs while enhancing comfort.
- The upright handlebars provide comfort in riding.
- The foldable basket helps in easy storage and flexibility of use.
- The 3 wheels enhance stability so it can be used by both beginners and the elderly.
- The 6-speed gear helps in making a smooth ride even on the bumpy and hilly terrain.
- There is a video showing how the trike can be assembled.
- Assembling the tricycle requires the help of a professional.
The trike is great even for inexperienced riders because the pedals are easy to use. The 6-speed gear will help you on bumpy and hilly roads so that you don’t have to exert pressure on pedaling.
The Ridgeyard trike also comes with a reflecting strip to provide more security for nighttime rides.
7. Iglobalbuy Yellow 24″ 6-Speed 3 Wheel Adult Tricycle
The brightly colored Iglobalbuy is not a common brand, hence it costs less than the leading brands. The trike has 24-inch wheels that have an alloy rim and stainless-steel spokes of high quality. It has front linear brakes and rear hand brakes for sure stopping.
It has a high carbon steel step-through frame and adjustable handlebars, making it suitable even for shorter people. Padded cruiser seat measuring 13 × 13 ensures a comfortable ride even on bumpy terrain.
This trike can be used for mountain and hill cycling because of its 6-speed gears. It is, in fact, suitable for most kinds of terrain.
Product Features of Iglobalbuy Yellow 3 Wheel:
- High-quality carbon steel step-through frame
- 24” wheels with alloy rim and stainless-steel spokes
- Padded spring cruiser saddle
- A 6-speed gear changing system
- A large folding rear basket
- The carbon steel frame makes the trike durable and sturdy.
- Iglobalbuy is comfortable and easy to ride even for a beginner.
- The trike comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The upright handlebars help enhance perfect posture for riding.
- It come out relatively cheap price tag compared to the others trike we reviewed.
- The tricycle is very hard to assemble. It’s advisable to seek the help of a professional.
If you would like to carry food for your picnic or home groceries, the large, sturdy rear folding basket will be good for the job. The Iglobalbuy tricycle can carry a total of 300 pounds.
8. Komodo Cycling 24″ Adult Tricycle
If you’ve got backache issues, Komodo Cycling 24″, 6-Speed Adult Tricycle is one of the offers you need to look into. It comes with an ultra-comfortable saddle with a backrest attached to it for a trouble-free ride. The saddle can be adjusted to fit any height you want.
Most trikes don’t come with suspensions. However, the springer seat and the 24’’ tires help in absorbing road impact. Additionally, the bigger wheels mean you’ll never feel too big for this ride.
You still go some love for speed in you? Well, Komodo Cycling 24″ 6-Speed Adult Tricycle is sufficiently geared up and ready for anything.
A total of 6 gear settings should make uphill riding easy and fun. But that’s not all; the gear components come from Shimano. In case you didn’t know, Shimano is the biggest supplier of top quality bike parts.
As an adult, it’s pretty obvious your first bike had handlebar-operated brakes-and you are familiar with them. It’s the same kind you’ll get on the Komodo tricycle. They’ve also thrown in a large basket at the rear for carrying your essentials or shopping.
Product Features of Komodo 6-speed Tricycle:
- 6-speed tricycle
- Shimano gear components
- Alloy pull brakes
- Rear basket
- Ultra-low step-through
- 24’’ wheels
- Low clearance design for easy on and off
- A comfy saddle with back support
- A large basket for storing
- Top-quality Shimano gear parts
- Affordable model
- Not easy to set up unless you have some mechanic skills
Komodo 24’’ 6-speed tricycle suits older individuals and women because of its ultra-low step-through design. It’s mostly made of steel, and that puts the price and weight on the lower side. So if you want to save some cash and get a comfy ride that can easily climb up the hills, this is the one.
9. Happybuy 24 Inch Adult Tricycle
If you don’t have a big budget to go for high-end trikes, Happybuy 24 Inch Adult Tricycle can come to your rescue. For around $200, this tricycle provides you with a chance to face the outdoors with confidence.
This bike takes a cruiser design with large-shock absorbing 24-inch tires for quick rolling. Add that to its 7-speed gear system, and you have yourself a hill-climbing beast that doesn’t need so much effort from your end.
Happybuy 24 Inch Adult Tricycle boasts of an ultra-large basket and a sturdy frame to support a load of up to 340 lbs. With three large tires in place and an efficient braking system, you’ll never about losing control or crushing.
If you have the stuff to carry along for the ride or expect to return with some shopping, you’ll love its massive rear basket. The step-through frame design and low-lying saddle should make it less troublesome to get on and off the bike.
Product Features of Happybuy 24 Inch Adult Tricycle:
- 24-inch wheels
- 7-speed gear system
- Upright handlebars
- Sturdy iron frame
- Alloy pull brakes
- Step-through design
- Heavily-cushioned seat
- A large storage basket
- Huge, quick-rolling tires
- Equipped with fenders to bar mud splashes
- An economical tricycle
- Needs professional assembling
- No backrest
Happybuy 24 Inch Adult Tricycle is a cheap way to move around and exercise your body. With variable speeds in place, moving around should not be a problem. It packs large wheels and soft padded saddle to improve comfort. It’s available in black, grey, white, and yellow colors.
10. Worksman Port-o-Trike Single Speed Adult Tricycle
Do you have a small storage space in your store? Do you always hit the road for adventures with your bike attached to your car? If you answered yes to these questions, then you’ll find Worksman Port-o-Trike Single Speed bike to be an irresistible offer.
This trike has a foldable design so it can retract to occupy a small storage space. Unlike other bulky trikes, it’s portable enough to attach to the back of your sedan or minivan.
The step-through frame lets you sit on it without a hassle, irrespective of your height. If there are items to be carried, you can toss them in the shiny basket at the rear.
Note that Worksman Port-o-Trike Single Speed has only one gear set. That means you can only ride on flat terrains. But if you still go some energy and want a solid work out session, then you can push through small hills.
Product Features of Worksman Port-o-trike:
- Single-speed trike
- Folds into a compact package
- Folds into a compact package
- Step-through frame
- Upright handlebars
- Comes with a storage basket
- Equipped with a chain guard
- Quick-adjust seat post
- Vinyl-coated cargo basket
- Folds to occupy little storage space
- Can easily fit on car trunk mount
- Superb quality ride
- Lightweight construction
- Convenient step-through design
- No backrest for those with back problems
- A bit costly
- Not ideal for uphill riding
There are two good reasons why Worksman Port-o-Trike Single Speed is worth considering. First, it is extremely portable and lightweight to tag along for a trip.
Secondly, it’s durably put together to last far longer than other models. The addition of fenders and chainguard keeps mud splashes at bay. However, you will pay a bit more for its convenient features (and it’s worth every coin).
11. Hiram Adult Tricycle
Exercise and recreation don’t have to be a costly affair. With around $200, you can get yourself Hiram Adult Tricycle. This is a cruiser style trike with a cargo basket (waterproofed), a cushy saddle, and an upright handlebar.
For convenience and ease of use, this tricycle comes with an ultra-low step-through design and three wheels for stability. When tired of pedaling, just pull up, sit tight and relax — no hassling.
As a single-speed beast, Hiram trike needs you to put in some work when riding, and this does have a positive impact on your mental and physical being.
The cruiser seat and large 24’’ wheels help to absorb shocks so you can enjoy your casual rides. It would have been nice for the saddle to have a backrest, but you easily get that as a separate item. The saddle height is adjustable to fit men and women of any height.
Product Features of Worksman Port-o-trike:
- Waterproofed rear basket
- Upright handlebars
- Single-speed adult trike
- 24-inch wheels
- Sturdy frames that can shelve up to a weight of 220 pounds
- Elastic saddle
- Upright riding style that goes easy on your back
- Affordable price tag
- Available in several alluring colors
- Accessorized with fenders, bell, and a waterproofed cargo basket
- Sufficiently comfortable
- No backrest
- Doesn’t have multiple gears
When you are just starting out with adult trikes, Hiram Adult Tricycle can be quite a pocket-friendly option to look into. It’s got everything you could ever want from a rear storage basket, comfy saddle to a step-through design. However, you need to be living in a flat area or be a bit energetic to cruise on slight uphill terrains.
Buyers Guide: Things You Should Consider When Buying Adult Tricycle
According to the World Health Organization, more than 3 million deaths each year are attributed to physical inactivity among older citizens.
Spending a minimum of one hour a day doing moderate physical activity including riding a tricycle will significantly reduce the risk of osteoporosis and arthritis, medical conditions that are currently affecting millions of sedentary people around the world.
Selecting the right adult tricycle should be based on your present physical limitations if any. To date, there are many styles and models to choose from, each one based on personal preference and riding style.
From a leisure ride through the neighborhood to riding to the store to get milk and bread, an adult tricycle will get you there and back safely.
Types of Adult Tricycles
Adult tricycles also called “trikes,” are currently classified as recumbent, semi-recumbent, upright, electric, or folding tricycles.
Recumbent tricycles are typically lower to the ground with stretched-out frames that allow you to sit in a reclining position. With your legs positioned in front of you, it gives you greater back support with better speed control and positioning. Most recumbent tricycles have one larger wheel in front for steering and two wheels at the rear for stability.
A combination of both the full recumbent standard models, the semi-recumbent trike is easier to pedal with and is a higher distance from the ground. For adults that find a standard recumbent bike hard to pedal, the semi-recumbent trike offers a very comfortable ride with a very noticeable reduction in pedal resistance.
Upright adult tricycles are better suited for leisure rides around the neighborhood or for running errands. Riders on these trikes are seated in an upright position. Complete with a rear cargo basket, the upright tricycle usually have one to three speeds. It is economically-priced for those on limited budgets, however, it is also ideal for those who wish to remain independent. The upright trike is capable of handling all daily tasks with ease, with emphasis placed on rider safety.
For those adults who seek the freedom of mobility but do not necessarily want to pedal a trike, the electric tricycle is for you. Considered a hybrid, these trikes come with an electric motor that pedal the bike for you, allowing you to take a break from pedaling. These adult electrically-driven tricycles are more expensive than the traditional, manually-operated ones.
Folding tricycles are the perfect fit for active adults who are constantly on the move. Designed for individuals with limited space for storage, these foldable trikes can fit easily into the trunk of your car to be taken to where you want your next adventure to be. It is lightweight for greater portability and continues to remain a popular option.
Features of Adult Tricycles
Brakes found on typical adult tricycles are rim-activated, similar to the braking function found on a two-wheel bike. With handlebar-mounted control levers, applied force through cable tension forces specialized discs against the inside and outside of the rim, allowing for the reduction of speed. On higher-end trikes, hydraulic or disc brakes may be offered for an overall increase in price.
Drivetrains for tricycles are typically chain-driven. Depending on the number of speeds of your new trike, a derailleur change speeds efficiently and effectively. On semi-reclining recumbent bikes, drivetrains are supplied by the power of your legs and the ability to increase speed as needed.
Handlebars used on upright tricycles are the traditional handlebars seen on two-wheel bikes. These may be curved or looping depending on your model. Recumbent trikes have no handlebars and are controlled by either a single steering “joystick” in the middle of the frame or controlling handlebars mounted to either side of the rider at a comfortable, adjustable level.
Upright adult tricycles have a wide, comfortable, saddle-style seat. This seat allows the rider to firmly place both feet on the ground when stopping without fear of tipping over. Recumbent trikes, on the other hand, have a sling-style nylon padded seat for greater back support. All seating is designed for comfort and better control in all riding conditions.
Depending on the style and model of the adult tricycle selected, shifters are typically located within easy reach of the rider. Usually in lever configuration, shifting an adult tricycle is completed in one smooth motion without losing focus on the road. Placement of the shifting mechanism largely depends on the manufacturer and may be either right- or left-hand mounted to the frame.
Selecting the proper gear ratio for your new adult trike largely depends on the type of bike and your preferred style of riding. Living in areas where biking will take you steep inclines, proper gearing is essential for overall riding performance. With a variety of gear ratios to select from, proper gearing will dictate your extended efforts in successfully climbing steep inclines and smaller hills.
The frame material for a large majority of adult tricycles is usually high-grade aluminum. Engineered to perfection, these frames are lightweight and durable with rust-free exteriors. Upright tricycles may use tubular frames manufactured to the highest degree. Recumbent tricycles have adjustable frames as well to accommodate larger riders.
The available accessories for adult tricycles are virtually endless. From mirrors and security locks to the latest in GPS technology, adding accessories individualizes your trike, making it one of a kind. Use your imagination to customize your trike to make your every ride safe and memorable for you.
Adult tricycles have varying speeds to accommodate any riding style or preference. Here are the riding tips for riding an adult tricycle. From three to 21 speeds, selecting the right number of gears for your new trike will significantly influence the performance that you will get from it. From straight flat terrain to climbing hills, having additional speeds when needed is always a definite advantage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. What is the difference between Adult Tricycles vs Recumbent Trikes?
A. Recumbent trikes are good choices for riders who need additional back support. When compared to adult tricycles, the most noticeable difference is the distance to the ground. Whereas adult trikes are ridden in the more traditional method, only with three wheels, recumbent trikes allow the rider to recline with less intense effort needed than in an adult trike.
Q. How many wheels are there on a tricycle?
A. As noted, “tri” means three. Therefore all tricycles have three wheels. Wheels on adult tricycles are usually configurated with one wheel in front and two wheels in the rear. Depending on the model selected, this configuration may invert to two wheels in front with the steering wheel in the rear. This configuration still allows the two front wheels to aid in the steering, although sharp turns are somewhat limited.
Q. Are adults required to wear bicycle helmets?
A. Visibility is always a concern when riding an adult tricycle. Wearing helmets is a matter of personal preference although it is indeed recommended. You can also greatly improve your visibility by moving slower than opposing traffic, wearing brightly colored vests, and having neon flags attached to the rear of your trike. Due to the popularity of bikes, some cities and municipalities now offer separate lanes for bicycle and tricycle traffic.
Q. Do these tricycles come assembled?
A. Unfortunately, they do not. Some trikes come partially assembled but require the majority of the assembly to be completed on site. Due to the size of these trikes, assembly can be complicated.
Q. Are these tricycles easy to ride?
A. Some practice may be required. Your best bet is to take your new trike to an area that is free of obstacles and debris. You may be surprised to find that these trikes are actually easier to ride than you previously thought.
Q. What are the approximate dimensions on a folding upright tricycle?
A. That would depend on the model selected. As a point of reference, an average folding upright bicycle will measure 35” in length, 30” wide, and 31” deep. For those with smaller storage spaces, the folding upright tricycle is ideal.
Motivation is the key to accomplishing any goals. It also applies to get the required daily exercise to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Since you have to go out and exercise anyway, why not make it a fun one? An excellent option is to go cycling, and with an adult tricycle, you won’t have any excuse not to use it anymore.
From boomers to those who have recently retired and enjoying the fruits of their labor, riding either a three-wheel adult trike or freewheeling on a recumbent bike brings an experience that cannot compare with any other activity.
As a means for getting the required amount of daily exercise needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle, these trikes take it to the extreme and back.
Seniors face falling dangers that are a significant concern to their lifestyles. The risk of falling while riding an upright tricycle is impossible due to the styling and precision engineering.
Increasing mobility and improving overall health conditions, riding an upright tricycle maybe your “fountain of youth” on wheels.
Which one is your pick today? Leave a comment below and share your thought with our community today.