The Best Hybrid Bikes for Women To Buy In 2018
What is a hybrid bike?
A hybrid bike is a type of bike that has features from two different bicycle styles --road and mountain bike.
If you had ever wanted to ride a bike both on and off the road but don’t want to own two bikes, a hybrid bike is an answer to your problem. The hybrid combines the fast nature of a road bike with the ruggedness of a mountain bike and has the features of both.
There are a number of hybrid bicycle brands available in the market today. The features of each bike vary depending on the manufacturer; some will offer more speed but less off-road capability, while others will offer superior strength but less speed.
Women’s hybrid bikes usually have cruiser-style frames with fenders and swept-back handlebars, a large comfortable seat, multiple gear selections, and high-performance friction brakes.
How do you choose which hybrid bicycle is for you? It is crucial to choose a bike which suits your particular needs. Given all the different features out there and the number of brands offering hybrid bikes, it is not that easy to decide on the perfect fit.
To help you make a choice, we have reviewed the 6 best hybrid bikes for women in 2018, which are not only high-performing but also more affordable and will provide you with a seamless riding experience either on the road or on rough terrain.
Best Hybrid Bikes for Women- 2018 Reviews
Sixthreezero EVRY journey
Schwinn Discover Women's Bike
Schwinn Women's Wayfarer
Diamondback Vital 2
Vilano Diverse 2.0
The table above shows you the list of 6 best women's hybrid bikes and our ratings. Now we will dig down into each bike with our in-depth review and analysis.
1. Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Women's 26-Inch Touring Hybrid Bicycle
This hybrid bike has a beach cruiser style designed for maximum comfort. It has a cream-colored frame and comfortable faux leather saddle and grips, making it look like a real classic.
The whitewall tires make for a stable ride and give the bike a retro look, making a stylish statement on the road. This model includes fenders and a rack in the price, too.
The EVRYjourney Touring Hybrid women's bike has a swooping step-through aluminum frame that makes it easy for you to get on and off the bike. The positioning of the pedals and the seat also helps keep your back upright while riding.
The combination of beach cruiser and commuter is great looking but is it right for you? Let’s take a look at the features of this classic hybrid bike.
Key Features of Sixthreezero Evryjourney Women's:
- Aluminum frame with chrome components
- The combo of urban commuter and beach cruiser
- Matching fenders and rear pannier rack
- 26” wheels with 2” wide tires
- Front handbrake and rear coaster brake for easy stopping
- Fits women from 5 feet to 6’4” in height
- The bike has a beautiful retro styling.
- The fat tires make the bike stable in any terrain.
- It has a front hand brake and rear coaster brake for easy stopping.
- It is easy to get on and off with its low stand-over height.
- Easily upgradeable.
- It includes extras like a rear rack and full fenders, a dual spring seat, and leather-stitched grips.
- It is available in four gearing options: single-speed, 3-speed, 7-speed, and 21-speed.
- It comes 80% assembled.
- Weighs 38 lbs when fully assembled.
- The bike seems heavy and slow.
- It is not made for longer or hilly rides.
- It doesn’t come with headlights.
- Available in just a single size.
2. Schwinn Discover Women's Hybrid Bike
Schwinn is a well-known bike brand, has produced a number of great bikes for women. Their Discover Women's Hybrid Bike is another good one, which is good for biking, commuting, or fun riding around town.
The bike has a lightweight aluminum frame with an upright riding position, a suspension fork for comfortable riding even on bumpy roads, and a suspension seat post on a padded saddle.
The Discover Women's Hybrid Bike comes with a rear rack and color matched fenders included in the price. The bike has an adjustable stem to allow the handlebar to be raised or lowered to suit the rider. This model can tackle any terrain with ease.
Key Features of Schwinn Discover Women's Bike (700c wheels)
- Lightweight aluminum city frame
- Schwinn suspension fork for maximum bike response
- Padded saddle with a suspension seat post
- 21-speed SRAM grip shifters for fast gear changes
- Adjustable stem for a variable position
- ProMax linear pull brakes for stopping
- Comfort ergonomic handlebar grips
Video Credit: Ryu Ken
- The bike’s aluminum city frame is lightweight and durable.
- Its padded saddle makes riding comfortably.
- Has 21-speed SRAM grip shifters.
- It has a swept-back handlebar with an adjustable stem.
- Comes semi-assembled with full manual and assembly instructions included.
- Good for taller riders above 5’6”.
- The bike is too big for the average height female rider.
- The fenders are plastic, not metal.
- The professional assembly will cost extra.
- The white will get very dirty if you use it in all kinds of weather.
Read our full review here: An Unbiased Review of Schwinn Discover Women’s Hybrid Bike.
3. Schwinn Wayfarer 700c
The Schwinn Wayfarer is a stylish looking bike that you can bring anywhere. You can ride it to work or go to happy hour with your little black dress. It is great for commuting, for visiting a farmers’ market, or for meeting friends. It looks great in photo shoots, too.
This Schwinn hybrid bike is more than it looks, though. It has a steel frame and rear rack which gives it a more slender look than the other bikes in this review. Steel can be a little heavier than aluminum but it offers more comfort.
The Schwinn Wayfarer has a quality spring seat which lessens the road impact, giving a smooth ride. Complemented by the matching rack and fenders, this is a great looking bike.
Key Features of Schwinn Wayfarer 700c Women's Hybrid Bike:
- Comfortable steel frame with classy looks
- Large 28-inch wheels with slick tires for a more stable ride
- 7-speed shifters and Schwinn rear derailleur
- Available in 2 sizes and 4 colors
- Alloy front and rear V-brakes
- It looks great and stylish enough to take anywhere.
- It performs well on both flat roads and hilly terrains.
- It has a comfortable padded seat.
- Thick tires make for a stable ride.
- The 7-speeds with Shimano rear derailleur is perfect for city riding.
- Upright riding position gives you better visibility.
- Color combination is great at an affordable price.
- Lights, mudguards, lock, rack, and kickstand included.
- Size and color choices are available.
- There is modern braking system for front and rear.
- Parts seem to be cheap quality.
- Chain falls off after a few rides.
- Some customers report the bike fell apart while riding.
- Shifting is difficult and gears can get stuck.
4. Gama Bikes Women's Metropole Step-Thru Bike
The Gama Metropole looks like a classic. It has a lightweight alloy frame in four color choices: jade green, light blue, metallic cheery red, and cyan. They have nice quality faux leather saddles and color-matched accessories.
This bike has slick tire fitted as standard which measures 35mm wide. The design of this bike suggests that its main purpose is as a town bike for average speed with some varied terrain.
The Gama Metropole is capable of handling some off-road trails and some hills but those with a tough commute should look elsewhere. It has all the bicycle accessories you need, though: fenders, rear rack, bike basket, and a bell.
Key Features of Gama Women's City Bike:
- Lightweight aluminum alloy frame
- Classic SS pins in Vinyl cover
- 8-speed Shimano Altus gears
- Slick but standard 700c tires on alloy wheels
- Available in 4 colors
- Fenders, rack, and kickstand included
- Comfortable large saddle with suspension seat post
- Powerful front and rear linear pull brakes
- Perfect hybrid of commuter, road, and cruiser bike
- Full fenders and rear storage rack included
- Bike looks stylishly classic.
- The Shimano Altus shifters and 8 speeds are fantastic.
- Front suspension and suspension seat post gives a smoother ride.
- Includes accessories like a kickstand, fenders, basket, bell, and rear rack.
- Lifting the bike is easy because it’s lightweight.
- Gears are great quality and use grip shift levers.
- Comes 80% assembled.
- Limited time warranty.
- Slick tires may not be to everyone’s taste.
- Only available in 19” frame for larger riders.
- Still needs to be fully assembled by a qualified professional.
5. Diamondback Women's Vital 2 Hybrid Bike
At first glance, this light purple beauty Vital 2 Diamondback looks like a sports hybrid bicycle. When you look closer at the reviews, though, you will notice the features that make this one of the best hybrid bikes for women.
The Vital 2's step-through design means it's easy to get on and off the bike even in your office clothes. The adjustable stem makes it easy for you to get a perfect fit.
The suspension fork and suspension seat post make for a comfortable ride even on bumpy roads, and the gears in the front and back make hills an easy ride.
Here is what you get with the Diamondback Women’s Vital 2 hybrid bike.
Key Features of Diamondback Women's Vital 2:
- Aluminum alloy frame
- Large 700c wheels
- High-quality gear set for smooth shifting
- Tektro branded V-brakes which work very well
- Deluxe saddle with gel and a suspension seat-post
- Diamondback Dual Density Comfort Grips for a comfortable ride
- 21-speed drivetrain with Shimano derailleur
- Small 15” or Medium 17” sizes available
- Aluminum frame with Sports Hybrid Geometry is durable.
- Versatile go-anywhere bike that acts as a fitness bike combined with a cruiser bike.
- Suspension fork and seat-post make for comfortable riding.
- Has 21-speeds to suit your needs.
- The bike is lightweight.
- It is affordable.
- The bike comes with no accessories.
- For commuting, you may not need the suspension.
- It is heavier than a road bike.
- It is not available in large sizes.
6. Vilano Diverse 2.0
Vilano has been offering affordable and quality bicycles for 10 years now. The Vilano Diverse 2.0 is another of their quality bikes; you can take it anywhere, from home to work, school, or to the groceries. It has 24 speeds and 700c x 35c tires that can handle any riding situation.
This is the most affordable in our list of the best hybrid bikes for women in the market today. Here’s what you can get for your money.
Key Features of Vilano Diverse 2.0
- Diverse 2.0 has aluminum 6061 lightweight frames and fork
- Disc brake for superior stopping power
- Shimano 24-speed gears
- Quality branded Kenda tires
- Alloy linear pull V-brakes
- The bike has a quality aluminum frame.
- It has great quality Kenda tires for the price.
- The bike has 24 speeds with Shimano shifters.
- Comfortable flat handlebars promote an upright riding position.
- Has alloy linear pull cantilever V-brakes for more stopping power.
- The pedals are included for free.
- TThe price range is affordable.
- While it is possible to assemble yourself, it’s recommended that you have the assembly completed by a qualified mechanic.
- Seat paddle is hard and uncomfortable.
- Some parts fell apart after a few rides.
- No accessories are included.
- Difficult to mount for beginners with high stand over.
- Less comfortable than the other bikes in this review.
How to Choose from the Best Hybrid Bikes for Women?
Choosing a hybrid bike is a very personal decision. You need to consider several factors before arriving at a decision.
If you are planning to commute to work, for example, what time of day will you be riding? If you commute during early morning or evening, you probably want a hybrid bike that has lighting installed.
Next, think about where you live and work; is the terrain you will ride on hilly or rocky? A hybrid bike with more gears or suspension would be a good choice. If your route is primarily level and even, fewer gears will work just fine.
Make a list of these and then start looking at women's hybrid bike reviews. The reviews will help you make a decision. Know that the perfect bike may not have everything on your list but most accessories can be added later for a small cost.
There are four main things you must consider before purchasing a hybrid bike. These are the frame, the gearing, the brakes, the price, and the accessories. Let’s look at each of these to get an idea of what is on offer.
The heart and soul of any bicycle is the frame. The quality of the ride is dependent on the material, design, size, and even the angles of the tubes. Most bikes in this category will be made from an aluminum alloy which is both light and strong.
Some frames have suspension on them for a smoother ride. If you plan on biking on bumpy roads, make sure to get a bike with suspension.
You don't need to be a motorcycle exhaust systems expert to buy a hybrid bike. Bike gears are simple in nature. You will find that hybrid bikes have anywhere from one to 27 speeds.
Focus on your intended use and where you are planning on riding. Fewer gears is not a problem if you use the bike on level pavements. More gears will give you the option to tackle a wider range of terrain; you can either go faster downhill or pedal up a hill more easily. Keep in mind, though, that more speeds mean more money.
Brakes are very important as well. You must prioritize safety, and brakes provide it.
There are different kinds of brakes, too. Disc brakes are virtually maintenance-free but cost more to purchase. V-brakes work well but regular maintenance is needed to stop them from losing their effectiveness. Coaster brakes are not always available for all types of bikes.
Going back to your list of most important features, it is cheaper to choose a bike which already has everything you need fitted. Did you intend to ride at night and need lights? Or a pannier rack to carry your work clothes? How about fenders so you don’t get wet when it’s rainy?
All these extra accessories can be added later on. So when you find that the hybrid bike you want is lacking in the accessory you need, just purchase it separately.
Generally, if a bike seems to have lots of included extras but still remain cheap, the trade-off will be a cheaper frame which will impact the ride quality.
The price is another important factor that heavily influences most of our buying decisions. The guideline here is to set a budget in your head before looking for a bike. Once you see what is available for that price, consider if this comes with everything you wanted.
If your budget allows, set a new level which will get you the gearing, accessories, and frame that you ideally need. There is nothing worse than buyer’s remorse from wishing you had spent more to get a quality ride.
We have given you a list of 6 of the best hybrid bikes for women today. What you choose will depend on your particular list of needs, but if we have to choose, we choose the sixthreeZero EVRYjourney Women's 26-inch Step-Through Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle. This hybrid bike has several speeds to choose from, looks really stylish, and seems durable, too.
We also like the Diamondback Vital 2 for its good selection of gears, its suspension fork, and a suspension seat-post as standard. For longer rides, this added comfort will be a real benefit indeed.
The mid-range price of the Vital 2 means you will have spare money to spend on accessories. It also comes in a choice of sizes which should allow you to get the perfect fit.
As a close runner-up, the Schwinn Wayfarer 700c Women's Hybrid Bike is an excellent choice. As one of the cheapest bikes we have reviewed, it is difficult to fault. It has only 7 speeds, which isn’t a problem if you plan on riding this on city streets only. Its beautiful looks more than make up for it.
The best hybrid bikes for women on this list have great value for the money. Whatever you choose in this list will surely give you good riding experience. So think about what you need in a hybrid bike and make a decision today!