Who doesn’t enjoy riding their bike casually along the boardwalk? This is the epitome of effortless summer days.
Even if you do not live at the beach, you can still capture that same feeling while riding a bike, and this Firmstrong beach cruiser review will point you in the right direction. No matter where you live, this easy breezy feeling can be yours.
This Firmstrong Bikes Reviews will help answer your questions and showcase some of the more popular bikes. We will give you a hint: our favorite is the Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle. This classically styled bike has all the vintage charm and an oversized seat with dual springs for maximum comfort.
This review will help you know what to look for when purchasing a bike for yourself or a gift. We break down important features and tell you how to put it all together. Read on to find some other beach cruiser treasures.
History of Firmstrong Bikes and Company
Although bikes have been around for ages, Firmstrong is a relative newcomer to the industry. They have joined the ranks of bike manufacturers that are well established and well known. This is a bold move, but when you are passionate about what you do, it shows.
Firmstrong Bikes was started about 10 years ago in California. This is a logical place since California is conducive to beach cruiser bikes thanks to boardwalks and sunny beaches. The people behind these bikes are fun and adventurous and love their bikes.
The company was founded with the sole purpose of preserving the function and simplicity of the bicycle. They believe in clean lines and functionality. Firmstrong wants their bikes to be easy to use, easy to maintain, and easy to assemble.
Firmstrong believes that more people should ride recreationally. To make this a reality, they strive to keep their prices reasonable. They also keep the customer in mind when designing their bikes. This is why they sell their bikes directly to customers, not to big-box chain stores.
The company designs all their bikes at their headquarters in California. They start with pen and paper can come up with design ideas that they believe will benefit the user.
Firmstrong wholeheartedly believes in the benefits of bike riding -it helps reduce stress, helps clear the mind, and it is great for communities. They truly believe in creating an experience for riders, not just a mode of transportation.
Firmstrong has certainly made their presence known in the world of bikes.
Firmstrong Bikes Reviews
1. Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle
And our top pick in the Firmstrong Bikes Reviews is the Urban Lady Beach Cruiser. Let’s take a look at why this has our approval.
This cruiser is available in many speed and color combinations that there is sure to be something for every woman. The cruiser can be purchased in single, 3, 7, or 21 speeds. This means you can buy a bike that will work easily on urban streets as well as the boardwalk.
You will also realize that this classically styled bike comes with an oversized seat with dual springs for your comfort. The handlebars have foam grips to help eliminate hand fatigue.
You may like full details about Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bike Review in-depth.
- This bike can accommodate women between 5 and 6 feet tall.
- You can choose color matching fenders for added style.
- There are front and rear brakes to make sure that stopping is smooth and precise.
- The wide tires and wide seat ensure that bumps are not a problem for you.
- 300 lbs weight capacity that appropriates for heavy riders.
- The Urban Lady is designed to go from the beach to mountain trails so you can go anywhere you want to.
- It is possible for factory assembled pieces to arrive incomplete, making riding dangerous.
- The foam grips can rip rather quickly.
- Your bike may arrive without an assembly manual, making it difficult to assemble correctly.
The Firmstrong Urban Lady is a clear winner. In addition to great style details, speed choice, and color options, this bike is comfortable to ride. And you can comfortably ride this bike just about anywhere you want to go.
2. Firmstrong Bruiser Man Seven Speed Beach Cruiser Bicycle
This beach cruiser is versatile. You have the option of purchasing this bike as a single, 3, or 21-speed cruiser.
Firmstrong Bruiser Man bike built on an extended length frame; there is ample space between the rider and the handlebars. You will also notice that the handlebars are wide and wrapped with synthetic leather grips for your comfort. The seat is oversized and has dual spring coils.
A notable feature of the Bruiser is the Shimano derailleur to help you smoothly transition while riding. This bike, while perfect at home on the boardwalk, is also capable of some city riding as well. The front and rear brakes give you quick and precise stopping action.
- The extended frame improves your arm extension.
- With 7 speeds the bike is capable of more terrain types.
- For your comfort, the seat is oversized and had dual spring coils.
- The front and rear brakes are quick and precise.
- This bike can go from 3- 30 mph.
- The bike comes 80% assembled, so assembly is easy.
- There can be missing parts needed for assembly, which makes riding the bike unsafe.
- Nuts on the wheels tend to come loose while riding, which is dangerous.
- The brake cable sometimes arrives split, so you will need a replacement before riding the bike.
The Bruiser Man beach cruiser can be a great option if you know how to properly assemble a bike, make sure that all the necessary pieces are in place.
If you like to do some light trail riding in addition to beach cruising, these cruiser bikes gives you the best of both in one unit. It recommended that you make sure you properly maintain your bike as you switch back and forth from the different surfaces.
This Firmstrong Bruiser Man bike is an excellent option for you if you are handy with tools.
3. Firmstrong Urban Man Single Speed Beach Cruiser Bicycle
No Firmstrong Bikes Reviews would be complete without mentioning the Urban Man Single Speed Bike. This bike is available in a handful of colors and sizes.
The seat on this men’s bike is oversized and includes dual springs for maximum comfort when riding. The brake system on this cruiser is a rear coaster brake. Simply squeeze the padded handlebars to apply the brake.
You should realize that the Urban Man is a single speed, but that should be plenty for cruising around the neighborhood or the beach boardwalk. Don’t worry if the boardwalk is uneven; the wide tires will make sure that you have a smooth ride.
- The Urban Man is available in 12 colors so you can personalize your bike.
- Firmstrong uses rear coaster brakes on the bike to ensure a complete stop.
- This bike is designed for smooth riding by using wider wheels.
- You will be comfortable sitting on the oversized seat with dual coil springs.
- This bike can go from 3-15 mph easily.
- The tires can be bent in shipping, which will negatively affect the brakes.
- The seat bearings sometimes come loose and roll out.
- Sometimes the front fork arrives bent.
Overall the Urban Man is a nice beach cruiser. If you are a newer rider, this might be a good bike for you. It has some excellent features, like the oversized seat with springs, that are meant to keep you comfortable.
Make sure you know how to use tools since you will be putting this bike together. However, once it is put together and there are no damaged pieces, you should enjoy this bike for quite some time.
4. Firmstrong Chief Lady Beach Cruiser Bicycle
Next up on our Firmstrong Bikes Reviews is the Chief Lady Beach Cruiser. This beach cruiser is designed for a lady’s comfort. The Chief Lady Beach Cruiser is designed for women who are between 5’4″ and 6’4″ tall.
Since women have unique needs, this beach cruiser features a forward pedaling design. This keeps the seat closer to the ground while still allowing the legs to extend appropriately. This is crucial for injury prevention.
The bike is classically styled and has 26″ aluminum wheels. There are 26″ aluminum wheels, and since it is a single-speed, there are no cables to get tangled up. The brakes work by pedaling backward.
- The forward pedal design puts less pressure on the hips.
- This bike makes it easy to maintain a speed of 3-15 mph.
- The Chief Lady has color matching fenders.
- You can easily ride around town or on the boardwalk with this classically designed bike.
- For your comfort, there is an extra-wide seat with dual coil springs to absorb the impact.
- The extended length frame is ideal for taller women.
- Often there are missing parts needed for assembly.
- Sometimes the wheel rim arrives dented.
- Some customers received damaged pieces of the bike.
We found the Lady Chief to be an ok beach cruiser. It makes a good option for someone who is new to biking or who may be looking for a weekend ride.
It is nice that Firmstrong has kept a female body in mind. We like how the forward pedal design allows a woman’s legs to maintain the correct position while riding. This will take the pressure off of hips and knees and help to prevent injury.
5. Firmstrong Black Rock Men’s Beach Cruiser Bicycle
If you are interested in cruising up and down the boardwalk or cruising around your neighborhood, the Black Rock Men’s cruiser is a solid choice. It also makes a great bike to ride with your kids on their own beach cruisers.
The first feature of note is the 29″ wheels. This alone makes the bike comfortable for taller riders. The wide tires also help to absorb most of the bumpy impact. Thrown in the wider, oversized seat with dual springs, and you have a very comfortable ride.
Firmstrong’s Black Rock Men’s cruiser has one speed, and the brakes work by simply pedaling backward. The handlebars are wrapped in synthetic leather and can be adjusted for height.
- The bike seat can be adjusted for height and can be tilted for greater comfort.
- This cruiser has a chainguard to protect pant cuffs from getting caught in the bike.
- You can adjust the handlebars to be height comfortable.
- The Black Rock cruiser has waffle tread tires for better traction.
- This bike can accommodate up to 350lbs suitable for heavy riders.
- Some parts can arrive with scratches.
- There is a possibility of missing the hardware needed to finish the assembly.
- You will need to break in this bike to achieve the best riding experience.
The Black Rock Men’s Cruiser is a solid bike. This single-speed bike is great for recreational riding and relaxing on the boardwalk. The extra-wide tires and seat with dual springs help to give you a smooth ride. If you are looking for a dependable cruiser, look no further than this one.
6. Firmstrong Urban Girl Beach Cruiser Bicycle
This sweet beach cruiser is perfect for girls who are new to riding or who want to experience a more relaxed beach vibe. You can also use this bike to help transition your girl rider from training wheels to two wheels.
The Urban Girl Beach Cruiser is a single-speed bike. This means it will be easy for her to manage; there is no need to switch gears or fear of chains slipping. The brake on this bike is a traditional style that works by pedaling backward.
You will have her up and cruising since the seat and handlebars are both height adjustable and designed for comfort. The wide tires will also help ensure she has a smooth ride.
- The bike seat can be tilted up or down for her comfort.
- You can add training wheels to this bike if she needs the extra help.
- The front and rear fenders look nice and help protect the bike from dirt.
- She will appreciate that the seat and tires will absorb most of the bumps.
- This bike is available in many high gloss paint colors to match her style.
- The Urban Girl bike can be a bit heavy, making it difficult for her to walk it.
- Sometimes pieces needed for assembly have been missing from the box.
The Urban Girl beach cruiser is a great first cruiser bike for a new rider. It can also be a great addition to a summer home. If you are looking for a basic bike that offers comfort and traditional styling, you will appreciate this bike.
Click through to full discussion about single speed bike here.
Top Features of Firmstrong Bikes
Frame and Gear
When you order your Firmstrong bike, you will be asked to select your frame size. The frame size and gear speed are chosen together. Customers have the option of choosing a single, 3, or 7-speed bike. These tend to be stock sizes and speeds.
Men’s and women’s bikes are available in 24″ and 26″. Kids bikes come in 16″ and 20″. Once you have selected this, you will continue choosing options from the drop-down menu.
One of the excellent features of Firmstrong bikes is the ability to customize. You have the option to choose the rim color of your bike. There are also color options for the tires. The tires themselves come with a patterned tread, to help give you better traction.
The tires are also a little wider. This is to help make your transitions between terrain types smoother and to absorb bumps better.
Firmstrong bikes come with one of two brakes. They are either coaster brakes or handbrakes.
Coaster brakes do not have cables attached to the handlebars. Coaster brakes work when you pedal backward, this stops the wheel from turning.
Handbrakes have cables from the handlebars to the wheels. They work when you apply pressure to the handgrips. This pressure puts friction on the tire, which causes them to stop.
Most Firmstrong bikes come with an oversized saddle. Typically bike seats are uncomfortable at best.
These bike seats are also constructed with dual spring coils. This feature keeps you comfortable and helps to absorb bumps in the road.
You also have the option to change the color of your seat. It is possible to upgrade seat to a synthetic leather in black, white or beige.
One of the best features of Firmstrong bikes is the number of color options you have available. In keeping with their vintage vibe, the company gives you the option to pick from many bright and fun colors for your bike.
This is a great way for you to customize your bike and make it your own truth. With the color options available to choose for tires, rims, and frames, you can be sure your bike will truly be one of a kind.
Bikes that are stock items generally run between $200 to $400, depending on the model. Kids bikes run slightly cheaper.
Be aware that if you want to customize your bike, that will affect your price. A nice feature to Firmstrong is that they have an a la carte menu of options to personalize your bike. Just keep in mind that those selections will be an additional price.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Where are Firmstrong bikes manufactured?
A. All of the Firmstrong bikes are designed in Hermosa Beach, California.
Q. Are Firmstrong and Sixthreezero the same company?
A. Although both companies are based in California, and both make cruiser bikes, that is where the similarities end. Firmstrong and Sixthreezero are two distinct and separate companies.
Q. What is the best women’s cruiser bike?
A. After looking at all the great options, Firmstrong offers, we feel that the Urban Lady Beach Cruiser is the best. This bike is designed to be comfortable for women to ride, is available in several speed options and can be personalized with different color and accessory options.
Q. What size bike should I buy?
A. Buying the right size of the bike is extremely important. Here are a few factors to think about when buying a bike.
- Know your leg, inseam and torso measurements.
- Different types of bikes have different size requirements.
- Check size charts for the type of bike you are purchasing.
- Cruiser bikes tend to go by small, medium, and large so it might be more trial and error.
- Have yourself fit at a bike shop.
Q. Do Firmstrong bikes have water bottle holders?
A. Firmstrong bikes do not come with a water bottle holder as a standard feature. You can add a cup holder on if you go to the customizer page.
This feature will cost you an additional $24.99. It mounts in the middle of the handlebars and is intended to act as a cup holder so that you can put a bicycle water bottle there.
There are many benefits to biking. It is a high activity to help release stress, get some exercise, and enjoy quality time with friends and family.
Beach cruiser bikes are the perfect type of bike if you want to be able to ride through town or down your local boardwalk leisurely. This type of bike is designed to be used on softer surfaces, as well as boardwalks.
Firmstrong bikes are made in California, the perfect place for beach cruisers. This company is passionate about getting you on a bike and outdoors. They believe everyone benefits from riding a bike.
With a Firmstrong bike, you will have a nice ride. Their bikes are designed for comfort. The saddles are oversized and have dual spring coils. This will help absorb bumps in the road and provide you with comfort.
You also can choose your color and gear speed. The handlebars are padded for comfort and spaced ideally from the seat.
To make your Firmstrong bike purchase even more unique, you can choose from a customization menu that will allow you to choose from even more color options for your rims, tires, and fenders.
Your Firmstrong bike is designed by you for hours of fun and miles of pleasure.