Biking on rough on trails can be tough. Your body will feel all the bumps on the uneven surface, and you may even lose control of your bicycle due to the obstacles on the ground. If you enjoy doing it, though, you better get a Full Suspension (FS) Mountain Bike. It will make even the roughest riding experience smooth and uneventful, giving you a safe and enjoyable ride in the outdoors. Out of all the FS mountain bikes in the market today, the Gravity FSX 1.0 is your best choice.
Gravity FSX offers full suspension, advanced aluminum frame, double-wall rims, mechanical disc brakes, Shimano shifters, and many more high-quality features that make it worth its price point of under $500. If you want the pros, cons, and other important information about the FSX bike, keep reading.
- Type: Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike with Adjustable Front Shock
- Frame Material: Advanced Aluminum Frame
- Shifter: Shimano EF51 24 speed shifter
- Brakes: TektroNovela Mechanical Disc Brakes
- Color: Black and Yellow
- Size: 15 inches, 17 inches, 19 inches, and 21 inches
- Rims: Double Wall Rims
- Wheel Size: 26 inches
- Wheel Specialty: Quick Release Wheels
- Speed: 24
- Derailleur: Shimano M190 Rear Derailleur
- Crank: Suntour Alloy Triple Crankset
- Fork: Suntour Long Travel with Adjustable Preload
- Tube: Higher performance Hydroformed Tubing
- Chain: Narrow 8
- Seatpost: Alloy 27.2
- Tire width: 2.1 inches
- Weight: 26 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 35 pounds
Front and Rear Suspension
As a full-suspension bike, the FSX 1 features front and rear suspension that gives you a smooth ride on trails and other rough ground. The suspension system has an ergonomic design and placement that make riding a pleasure.
The suspension system uses the Single Pivot Technology, the simplest suspension design that makes the bike easy to maintain. Hefty riders need not worry, too, as the front suspension can take on even a heavyweight.
Mechanical Disc Brakes
Control is a crucial aspect when it comes to biking in the mountains or on rough terrains. The mechanical disc brakes of FSX 1.0 definitely give you the control you need to take on even the roughest trails. There’s nothing like the highly responsive and robust mechanical braking system to give you confidence in riding trails.
Shimano EF51 24 Speed Shifter
The FSX 1.0 bike of Gravity comes with Shimano EF51 24 Speed Shifter. This easy-to-use shifter gives you a smoother and more comfortable ride. The 24 speeds allow you to go as fast or as slow as you like, and to change gears at a moment’s notice.
The comprehensive gear system, inclusive of Shimano components, crank, and cassette, is made with durable Suntour parts, making the mountain bike worth it for less than $500.
This sturdy mountain bike has simple road tires that are unfortunately not suitable to handle rough mountain trails and uneven terrains. These are better replaced with mountain bike tires. This is the only major drawback of the bike. Thus, when you buy a Gravity FSX 1.0, replace the original tires with stronger ones that are suitable for riding on mountainous paths.
Also read: The 7 Best Bike Tires for Gravel
Double Wall Wheels
The FSX 1.0 features quick-release double wall wheels. The outer wall makes it stronger, while the inner wall protects the spokes. The double-wall does add some extra weight to the bike. However, this bike only weighs 26 pounds, so the added weight is worth it given these extra features that make the wheels stronger and more durable.
The seller suggests the following sizes. This is just a rough estimate, but it can be a good guide to help you choose one that fits your height.
- Extra Small/Small: 15-inch fits 5’2” to 5’6”
- Small/Medium: 17-inch fits up to 5’8”
- Medium/Large: 19-inch fits up to 6’
- Large/ Extra Large: 21-inch fits 6’1” and up
The standover of the 15-inch bike is 26.1”. For the 17-, 19- and the 21-inch, the standover is 27.5”, 29”, and 30.5”, respectively.
Where to Use
You can use the full suspension mountain bikes like Gravity FSX 1 for riding on the trails, mountainous terrains, and generally any path that’s bumpy, rocky, and not smooth. Its dual suspension system absorbs the bumps and gives you a smooth and comfortable riding experience. Gravity also works as a good road bike for all cycling enthusiasts.
Who Can Use
Gravity FSX 1 is suitable for beginner-level mountain riders. It is best for rough terrain, giving you absolute control over the bike and absorbing any bumps on the road. There are four sizing options as well that ensure a good fit, no matter your height.
This full-suspension mountain bike from Gravity has many pros that you should consider when shopping for bikes under $500. Here are some of them.
- The full suspension makes your riding experience smooth and comfortable.
- Dual Mechanical Disc Brakes help you control your bike better in rough terrains.
- Shimano Shifters ensure a smooth shifting experience.
- Quick Release Wheels allow the riders to remove them quickly and easily to increase portability.
- Full suspension features and Shimano quality parts are available at an affordable price.
The bike comes with a couple of drawbacks that you should consider, as well.
- The bike comes with road tires that are not good for riding on rough trails. Better replace with mountain bike tires that can take on the hilly terrains better.
- The saddle is not comfortable for long riding.
If you are looking for a recreational mountain bike with full suspension feature and Shimano-powered gears for less than $500, you can never go wrong with the Gravity FSX 1.0.
Sure, having to replace the tires is bothersome, but given its features and the quality of its parts, it is definitely worth its price point. This mountain bike will take you on a smoother ride in hilly terrain and mountainous paths. Its full suspension ensures you won’t feel the bumps on the trail, while its mechanical disc brakes give you the control you need when riding.