Walking on sand can be quite frustrating. You tend to apply more effort because sand is constantly shifting under you. This means there is less force that rebounds back to you compared to walking on a steady surface.
Whether it’s walking on the beach or on a desert surface, sand can also turn out to be very hot. With the wrong kind of footwear, you could easily burn the soles of your feet. Furthermore, since sand is unstable, you could easily slip and result in injuries.
For these reasons, you need to have the right kind of footwear when walking on sand.
You need to find footwear that you are comfortable in, that keeps you safe and is supportive. If you are clueless, here is a list of the best shoes for walking in the sand. Based on this list, Speedo Men’s Hybrid Watercross Water Shoe is the best due to its incredible combination of features.
Best Shoes for Walking In Sand
1. Speedo Men’s Hybrid Watercross Water Shoe
The Speedo Men’s Hybrid Watercross Water Shoe is not only the ideal shoe when walking on sand but also when you have to walk through water. Their build and structure are such that the shoe is light and drains fast.
It has a textile upper and a rubber outsole. The textile upper is made of a material that drains quite fast. The material is also quick drying.
The rubber outsole is built for two things: lightness and comfort. You will find them quite comfortable when walking along the beach. In water, these shoes feel very light as they have drains in the soles.
The shoe also has Exsqueeze Me cushioning. This has been put in place to amplify the comfort levels. It is made in such a way that it molds gently around your foot.
It has 100% seamless construction which also adds to the comfort. And since the mesh upper is quick-drying, it also allows for maximum breathability like a breathable shoe does and ensures that your feet are comfortable all day.
- The shoe is light, as it is made of lightweight mesh uppers and a rubber sole.
- The shoe’s air mesh offers maximum breathability as it has tiny pores.
- It is quite comfortable following the Exsqueeze Me Cushioning, which adds to the comfort.
- It has drainage capabilities which will get you through water on the beach or river bed.
- The sole is built such that it is slip-resistant as it has wonderful traction and thus great for walking on sand.
- Do not stand up to saltwater that well and the glue separates causing the shoe to come apart.
- Sizing is off, with some having to order 1-2 sizes up.
The Speedo Men’s Hybrid Watercross Water Shoe is the ideal shoe for walking on the beach or river bed where there’s the chance of taking a dip into the water.
2. Zhuanglin Men’s Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes
The Speedo Men’s Hybrid Watercross Water Shoes are ideal for wet conditions and are also great for walking on sand. Their physical structure has multiple features that will come in handy when strolling or running on the beach.
For one, these shoes are incredibly light. They are made of 90% fabric, which is a great feature on its own. They, therefore, don’t weigh down on you.
Additionally, they have a mesh upper that has holes in it. These make the shoes quite breathable. This allows the feet to breathe.
They have solyte midsoles that are not only extremely lightweight but also offer excellent bounce-back. This is quite essential to walking over-sand successfully.
And of course, these shoes wouldn’t even be on this list if they weren’t comfortable. They have a boast of ComforDry sockliner, which offers the ultimate cushioning for the shoe’s performance. It also makes for a cool and dry shoe environment.
- It has excellent bounce-back resulting from the solyte midsole, which is good for walking on sand.
- The solyte midsole is also very durable as is the upper mesh.
- The shoe is quick-drying as the mesh upper drains off fast.
- The mesh upper has multiple pores that improve breathability and allow the foot to breathe.
- The shoe is quite comfortable from the ComforDry sockliner that offers optimum cushioning.
- Sand may get into the shoe through the porous mesh upper and which can be annoying.
- Sand may interfere with the lace lock preventing it from locking.
With excellent breathability and bounce-back, the Zhuanglin Men’s Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes are ideal shoes for walking on sand.
3. Sanuk Men’s Chiba Slip-On
If you love walking on the beach but can’t help getting sand into your shoes, well, here’s the remedy for you. The Sanuk Men’s Chiba Slip-On shoes are easy to wear, but they also make up for excellent footwear while walking on sand.
The uppers of these shoes are made from fabric, which is 65% cotton and 35% polyester. When walking in the outdoors, it offers excellent breathability features. This ensures that the feet remain dry while walking on the hot sand.
Again, the upper is made of heavy canvas, which has a frayed edge. The canvas also has a soft lining. All these ensure that the shoe is comfortable and that the upper is elastic and easy to break-in.
If you are concerned about odor, well, fret not. These shoes have a removable EVA footbed that features an antimicrobial additive. This is put in place to fight odor-causing bacteria.
The outsole is made of sponge rubber that is in a happy U-shape. It is quite light and offers bounce-back while walking on sand.
- These shoes are very comfortable from the canvas upper to the sponge rubber sole.
- The canvas upper also offers excellent breathability and keeps the feet both cool and dry while in the outdoors.
- The shoes are quite light as the canvas upper, and the rubber outsole is made from lightweight materials.
- They are silent when walking on the sand the rubber outsole doesn’t make much sound.
- They are quick-drying when aired properly.
- May not offer much breathing when indoors which can make for hot and sweaty feet in the indoors.
- They may feel a little snug at first before getting used to.
The Sanuk Men’s Chiba Slip-On is comfortable walking on sand and offering great breathability.
When you are on a beach trip near an Ocean, surfing is an exciting thing to do. To comfort your surfing, you might look for shoes that are ideal for surfing.
4. ALEADER Women’s Mesh Slip On Water Shoes
Ergonomically designed to provide maximum comfort and support ventilation for your feet to easily breathe the ALEADER Women’s Mesh Slip-on Water Shoes is not your ordinary water shoe. Its breathable air mesh upper provides breathing space for your feet and quick-drying a feature that’s very vital for water shoes.
It’s lightweight, providing easy navigation in sand and water, all thanks to its solyte midsole. The midsole is lightweight, allowing you to navigate water and sand easily without risking getting your shoes heavy. Its ComforDry sockliner is another feature making it unique as it provides cushioning that keeps the shoe environment cool and dry.
Walking in the sand requires traction, lest you’ll be struggling and dread the whole experience. Lucky for you, the ALEADER Women’s Mesh Slip-on Water Shoes got you covered on traction, as its water grain outsole provides enough traction to walk both on water and sand without slipping off.
- Its solyte midsole is lightweight, so it’s not heavy for your feet while walking.
- Its upper mesh provides ventilation for your feet to easily breath.
- Hole in the sole that further assists in breathing and quick-drying.
- Water grain outsole that provides adequate traction, making your walks bearable and enjoyable.
- Its ComforDry sockliner provides cushioning keeping the shoe cool and dry.
- If your feet are extremely narrow to the heel, then the shoe may slip.
- Does not provide proper arch support.
Looking for a shoe that offers comfort and durability, then the ALEADER Women’s Mesh Slip-on Water Shoes is the ideal option for you. An added feature that’s rare in most water shoes is its bounce back feature that provides the ultimate comfort.
5. Speedo Women’s Tidal Cruiser Water Shoe
Speedo Women’s Tidal Cruiser Water Shoes are another type you ought to consider if you are after slip-on shoes that perfectly fit. The mesh feature helps in breathability from the interior by letting your feet breathe freely and further prevent sweating like a sweaty feet shoe.
Another gem of a feature is its capability to fit. Ideally, enhanced by its necropene collar that makes it fit comfortably in your feet. It comes in three colors and has a padded insole that ensures you get to enjoy your walk or run comfortably. For more comfort, the upper mesh helps drain water in wet conditions and provides quick-drying to your feet.
Apart from comfort, good water shoes provide stability, so you don’t easily slip and enough balance to see you through mucky sands and water. Fortunately, Speedo Women’s Tidal Cruiser Water Shoe comes with webbing pull tabs just for that.
- Added a padded feature that increases comfort and for a long duration of wear.
- The upper mesh provides enough ventilation for your feet to easily breathe.
- Webbing pull tabs to provide stability, so you don’t have to worry about slipping while walking or running.
- Amphibious shoe meaning that it is suitable to walk on both land and wet areas.
- Slip-on making it easy to put on.
- Only comes in three color options meaning if you prefer a different color from the three, then it won’t fancy you that much.
- Does not come with a regular width.
Apart from having such amazing features that provide you with style and comfort, its high-grade imported material also provides durability.
6. Deep See Men’s Beach Walker Water Shoe
Another slip-on gem is the Deep Sea Men’s Beach Walker Water Shoe. These shoes come with a double for your trouble deal. In that, they have some of the top features of water shoes and still easy to wear and use. Pretty much what you’d want in any men’s shoes you’re planning to buy.
Like most water shoes, Deep Sea Men’s Beach Walker Water Shoes come with an upper mesh. The mesh gusset provides ventilation enough for your feet to breathe and drain water in wet conditions or rainy days. Besides, just being right for wet conditions, the mesh gusset also provides ventilation for releasing sand particles when walking on sand.
It would be unworthy to include it in this list of the best shoes for walking in the sand if its traction is below average. Well, fortunately, that’s not the case as its non-slippery rubber sole provides traction enough for you to wade through water and navigate on sand without risking slipping.
Another feature to kill for is its easy pull-on loop at the heel for easy slip-on and hanging for drying the shoes. It also goes without mentioning that they are durable, so you get durable comfortable easy to don water shoes.
- Mesh gusset that provides ventilation for your feet to breathe and the shoes not to soak or store sand particles.
- Pull-on loop to aid you in donning the shoes and hanging them to dry.
- Provides adequate traction that prevents the risk of slipping or losing stability.
- They are durable.
- Comes designed with a 2mm Nylon-2 Closed Cell Neoprene Rubber that gives warmth to your feet.
- Does not provide enough comfort as the padding might seem not enough.
- Does not provide the right arch support.
- The sole might not be efficient or convenient on sand that has sharp rocks.
As much as 2mm Nylon-2 Closed Cell Neoprene Rubber seems to be an ideal choice for men’s water shoes. Its comfort is below per as compared to most of the water shoes.
7. Easy USA Womens Aqua Wave Water Shoes
Still, on pull-on loop water shoes, another great selection is the Easy USA Women’s Aqua Wave Water Shoes, these shoes provide an easy to don feature from the heel pull-on loop. Just like all water shoes, Easy USA Women’s Aqua Wave Water Shoes come with an upper mesh that provides natural breathability to your feet.
Molded via TPR injection, the outsole provides adequate traction that is necessary when navigating through, water, wet sand, and dry sand. Its lightweight feature is also an important feature to shed light on as it aids in easy walking without soaking your shoes, ending up making them heavy and hard to walk on.
Targeted on giving you durable shoes that will last you for quite sometimes, the necropene design provides durability. Also, it comes in a variety of colors, so you don’t have to sweat about the choice of colors.
- A pull-on loop on the back of the shoe that eases donning them and quickens drying when hanged to dry.
- An upper mesh that provides enough ventilation for your feet to breathe and excess water and sand particles to drain out.
- Made from materials that guarantee the durability of your shoes.
- Lightweight hence reducing the chances of your shoes getting heavy from soaking in water.
- Comes in a variety of colors giving you the freedom to choose from your preference.
- No half sizes so if you wear a 9 ½ you have to pick a ten.
- No additional cushioning for your feet comfort.
Compared to other best shoes for walking in sand added to this list, this water shoe provides everything on the list except that it is not non-slip, making walking on it on wet surface and wet sand a more tedious task. However, it’s a decent pick and ought to be on the list.
Things to Consider Before Buying Shoes for Walking In Sand
Whether you are heading to the beach or in a desert, walking in the sand can be quite challenging. The fact that these areas are usually hot and rocky is enough reason to be careful when choosing your footwear wisely.
If you are not cautious about what you wear, the sand can get hot and burn the soles of your feet. Moreover, it can also slip and cause an injury since it is not even.
So, do not just pick a shoe because it is appealing. Instead, choose the footwear that is designed to walk in the sand and not in any other place. In that case, consider the following factors before you make a decision.
When buying shoes to walk in the sand, choose something you like. Although there are other essential aspects to consider, such as comfort and support, style is also vital. Style is as important as durability when it comes to shoes.
You can come across a shoe that fits you well, but if you do not like it, you will not be excited to put it on.
So, it is always wise to find a balance. The style of your shoes will have an impact on the number of outfits you can wear with them. Additionally, it will also contribute to how often you wear them. In respect to that, think about the shoe style before you buy it.
Since sandy areas are usually hot, always consider the breathability factor when buying these shoes. They will help in making your feet healthier and comfortable when hiking.
Shoes made from leather material are less breathable compared to those made from a combination of synthetic mesh and leather or those made from all synthetic mesh materials. Breathable shoes work for all professionals, including doctors.
When shopping for the shoe ideal for walking on sand, the material used shouldn’t be overlooked.
The most common materials used to make shoes are leather, rubber, synthetics, plastic, and foam. However, leather or canvas make suitable and durable shoes. It can protect your toes from injuries that may result from little stones.
Flexible shoes are the key to comfort. The more flexible your footwear is, the more your feet will naturally make their preferred movement over the sand. If your shoes are not flexible enough, your ankle and shin muscles may end up fighting with your shoes. As a result, your feet may end up feeling tired and swollen.
The right pair of shoes for walking in deep sand should be comfortable, meaning that they should be shock absorbing as well. It does not matter whether you have already found the most beautiful shoes in the world. If it is not comforting, it is not worth the pain.
A comfortable pair of shoes will enable you to go miles away without any pain or discomfort. On the other hand, rubbing or pinching shoes can cause blisters and sores. So, consider comfort before you make your purchase for sand walking shoes.
In addition to all the above factors, the weight of your footwear is also crucial. No matter your destination, no human being wishes to put their feet in heavy shoes.
Light shoes offer your feet some breathability enabling you to have a smooth walking experience. Even so, synthetic shoes are the most lightweight of all.
If you follow the above guideline when buying the best shoes for sand and water, you will not make the wrong decision.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Walking in sand is a fun activity as it helps you relax. Doctors recommend it as a physical therapy exercise for people who have undergone feet or back surgeries.
However, not everyone loves walking on sand bare feet. For this reason, many questions are being asked about the best shoes to wear when walking in sand. This guide gives you the frequently asked questions about shoes for walking in sand.
Q. Is it strong?
A. The heat of the sand usually burns feet to intolerable levels. Therefore, it is essential to wear shoes that are strong enough not to allow the heat from the sand to penetrate and affect you. Even if you walk five miles, a good pair of shoes for walking in the sand should not make your feet burn.
Q. Is it waterproof?
A. The most commonplace that people walk in the sand is on the beach. Therefore, the tides can be strong that it rushes up on the beach and cover your feet. If the shoes you are wearing are not waterproof, you will feel uncomfortable.
However, if you wear waterproof shoes, you will not worry about having wet feet as you will be protected.
Q. Is it heavy?
A. At some points of the beach, the sand is usually deep that your feet will sink in. If you are wearing heavy shoes, you will struggle to keep moving forward, especially if the deep area is extended. Wearing light shoes helps you maneuver such an area quickly.
This is because you can easily pull your feet from the hole and move. Heavy shoes will keep you stuck at one point before getting the stamina to move forward.
Q. Is it closed?
A. No one likes having sand in their shoes as it is uncomfortable. Therefore, most people usually look for shoes that are closed to avoid having feet that are full of sand. The shoes’ design should have laces that can be tightened so that no space is left to allow sand into the shoes.
However, the design should also have an upper ventilation gap to allow air in. The gap also serves as an escape area for any sand that mistakenly got into the shoes.
Q. Does it have a good grip?
A. The rubber outsole of the shoes that you choose should offer a good grip. Walking in the sand with loose shoes is stressing and tiresome. Therefore, find shoes that fit you perfectly.
Q. Can I run?
A. Some people go to the beach to run or take part in games such as volleyball, which require running around. If this is your objective, then you need to find shoes that have sturdy treads that do not stick on the sand. The shoes should allow you to run without straining.
Q. Can I walk for a long-distance?
A. If you are walking for a long distance on the beach, you need shoes that have flexible soles. These soles will not make your feet experience any pain.
Walking in sand is not similar to walking on the road; thus, you need to study the soles of the shoes. If you are walking for a short distance, you can get away with shoes that have rubber soles that are also a great feature for driving shoes.
Strolling on the beach and taking a dip in the ocean makes for a great pastime. However, if you are going out on holiday or you’re looking to start jogging along the beach, there is the need to find the right footwear. This is because sand is totally different from other regular surfaces.
Walking or running on sand is almost twice as hard as running on a regular surface with running shoes, such as concrete. Therefore, it calls for special footwear. The best shoes for walking in sand will ensure that you use minimum effort.
Shoes that are quick to dry are also excellent. Sand is hot, and your feet are likely to be sweaty. You might also get into the ocean or river and thus the need for quick drainage.
With the above suggestions, you should be able to narrow down your search to the right footwear for you.