Have you ever been leaving work when it’s rainy to notice that your shoes are soaked when you get to your car?
Maybe you’ve been shoveling the snow in the winter only for it to result in wet socks. While rain boots are an option to keep our feet dry in these conditions, they’re not always the most practical piece of footwear.
Whether you’re looking for a cute pair of flats to wear in a coastal city, a hiking boot that’ll keep your feet dry while hitting the trails, or a tennis shoe for everyday wear, this article covers it all.
Today you’ll read about the 10 best waterproof walking shoes of 2021, the pros and cons of each pair, and buyer’s guide of things to keep in mind and be on the lookout for in a waterproof shoe before spending any money.
However, If you don’t have the time to scroll to the end, then check out our most recommended product – Adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R GTX shoe.
Best Waterproof Walking Shoes
1. Adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R GTX
These shoes look at cool as your feet will feel inside of them. They have Gore-Tex technology making sure to let your feet breathe while still being waterproof. A unique thing about these Adidas is that they have abrasion-resistant exterior features that keep the shoe from getting scuffed up.
There is mesh throughout, giving your feet another way to keep cool and dry. There is a loop on the heel that makes it easy to get these shoes on. The tongue isn’t too thick, and the collar has a cushion for ultimate comfort.
Another thing that makes these shoes different from the other waterproof walking shoes on this list is the removable foam insoles that make it comfortable to wear them for hours on end.
They come with an incredible grip that allows you to use them on a lot of different terrains without worry about slipping.
- Available in three colors (all black, grey and black with neon yellow bottoms)
- Gore-Tex Technology keeping your feet dry
- Abrasion Resistant keeping the shoes intact from the elements
- Loop on the heel that makes it easy to put these shoes on
- Excellent grip, keeping you safe on rough terrain
- Sole can rip out if wearing for sport
- Aren’t great for slick surfaces
- Can be pricey for some
- Closure system allows unwanted bouncing
If you want to wear a well-known brand that has shoes with an excellent grip that will keep your feet dry and aired out, these Adidas are a great pick. You may not want to wear these if you play a sport or plan to be hiking over slippery rocks.
2. Rockport Men’s Road and Trail Waterproof Blucher Rain Shoe
Rockport is a well-known name in the footwear industry. Their Road and Trail Waterproof Blucher Rain Shoes are an excellent pick for anyone thinking of hitting the hiking trails in places like the Pacific Northwest or long days walking around London.
They have a special Hydro-Shield that keeps water out while still allowing your feet to breathe comfortably. The upper is made out of full-grain leather and is also waterproof. Both the tongue and the collar are padded, giving you extra comfort for long hikes.
You don’t have to worry about having smelly shoes after an hour of wear thanks to the antimicrobial technology these shoes have.
The EVA midsoles make it easy to wear these shoes day after day without your feet getting sore. If you’re looking for rugged, yet lightweight waterproof shoes, these might be the next pair you purchase!
- Shock Absorbing technology keeping your feet safe
- Antimicrobial insides keeping your shoes smelling fresh rather than funky
- Hydro-Shield exterior that keeps out water but is still breathable
- Padded tongue and collar giving even more comfort
- Available in three colors (brown, khaki and black)
- Sole removes easily after extended use
- Long break-in period before shoes are comfortable (about 1 to 2 weeks)
An excellent shoe for all types of outdoor activities whether you’re surfing, hiking, walking or doing yard work.
These are packed with a lot of unique technology to improve the wearer’s experience. They may take a while to break in but can be worth it for those looking for a great outdoor waterproof shoe!
3. Ahnu Women’s Taraval Walking Shoe
These shoes are not only comfortable waterproof shoes, but they’re stylish too. You could wear these to school, work, or while you’re hitting the hiking trails. The exterior made out of leather, giving you durability while looking sleek.
The lining of these Ahnu walking shoes is mesh, allowing your feet to breathe and stay cool and dry during wear. The collar of the Taraval design is padded, giving you maximum comfort around your heel and ankle.
If you want a comfortable footbed, the ones in these shoes are made from polyurethane and topped with an EVA midsole giving you security, comfort, and hold up for hours and hours of wear.
They come in four different colors to choose from, including red, grey, black, and brown. Lastly, the Ahnu Taraval walking shoes are slip-resistant and have a fantastic grip, making them extra secure.
- Breathable mesh lining throughout the entire shoe
- Padded collar for comfort around your ankle
- Slip Resistant keeps you safe near spills
- Leather exterior looks fashionable and is long lasting
- Available in four colors (red, brown, black and grey)
- No pressure points provided for people with flat feet
- Sides of the shoes don’t cover the tongue
- Sizing runs small – size up upon purchasing
- Insole lacks padding and can wear out easily.
These shoes are great if you need a single pair that you could wear to school and then straight to work or the hiking trail after.
They are incredibly breathable thanks to the mesh lining, and these slip resistance shoes are excellent for the workplace or in the kitchen! These aren’t the best choices if you have flat feet or need a lot of padding in the sneaker’s interior.
If you are suffering from flat feet problem, you may like to check the best hiking shoes for flat feet.
4. Merrell Women’s Siren Edge Hiker
Merrell is a company known for their walking shoes, and that’s why they have a pair that made a list for the 10 best waterproof walking shoes of 2021. These shoes come in a variety of different colors, from black to red to blue.
There is practically no break-in time with these hiking shoes, and they are wearable straight out of the box!
They have Fresh technology that helps the shoe stay fresh and leaves odors behind. They’re designed with Merrell’s Fit. Eco footbeds that keep your feet comfortable and supported all day long.
The heel has padding that absorbs shock while keeping it secure. There is air-mesh throughout the shoe to keep your feet cool and dry throughout your evening stroll. A pair of Siren Edge shoes have great traction and provide a sturdy grip on most surfaces.
If you like your footwear to have a seamless look, this pair has that. Lastly, there is plenty of extra comfort and security that comes with the unique contoured footbed.
- Fresh Technology leaving your shoes odor-free
- Fit.Eco footbeds for maximum comfort
- Airmesh exterior allowing your feet to breathe
- Great grip and traction on many types of terrain
- Available in 12 different color combinations
- Seems to lack arch support
- Weak collar that caves in over time
- Toe Box can be small for some wearers
These shoes can be great for everyday wear, especially if you like your shoes to stay fresh while allowing your feet to breathe. These may not be the best pair for someone who needs a lot of arch support, or that needs more room in the toe box.
If you have suffered from arch problems, check out this arch support shoes for happy feet.
5. KEEN Men’s Oakridge Waterproof Shoe
A hiking boot that looks more like a shoe but still offers the same amount of support? Keen offers just that with their Oakridge Waterproof Shoe.
These shoes have mesh throughout, allowing your feet to breathe without getting too hot and sweaty while hiking and walking for hours on end.
The traction of these shoes is excellent for just about any terrain, making it perfect for hiking on gravel, across slippery rocks or pavement. They have a low design, giving them more of a sneaker look rather than a boot.
The toe cap is made of rubber but still provides enough safety from objects that may fall on your foot, or you may run into. The upper of these Keen shoes are made of leather, making it durable and long-lasting.
These shoes do tend to run a little large, so consider buying a size smaller than you usually would. They come in two colors, including brown and black, with the mesh parts being a lighter shade of each color.
- Mesh throughout exterior allowing your feet to breathe
- Leather exterior making the shoes long lasting
- Available in two colors (brown and black)
- Great traction suitable for most terrain
- Unique low profile design
- Not right sizing, tend to run on the larger size
- No arch support
- Tread isn’t incredibly deep, making it easy to slip
- Runs a bit narrow towards the toe of the shoe
- Long break-in time to wear comfortably
6. New Balance Men’s MW1400v1 Walking Shoe
If you’ve wanted to up your hiking game, these New Balance boots could be a great pair to start with! New Balance had a design named the “1569”, and the 1400s are an upgraded version of that design.
A boot that is great for any terrain while not feeling heavy and clunky. New Balance is waterproof, making your hiking trip through the river and over the woods a dry one.
The upper of these boots are made of leather, along with the boot’s exterior, giving them durability.
These New Balance walking shoes come with Rollbar technology giving you a stable foot throughout the shoe, so you don’t have to worry about rolling your ankle when climbing tough rocks.
The collar has foam inside, giving you a comfortable wear, right from the start.
A unique thing about these boots is that the laces and threads are specifically designed not to wick or fall apart over time.
- Thinsulate Technology so your feet won’t sweat
- Made from leather which is an incredibly durable material
- Rollbar Technology keeping your foot stable from heel to toe
- Comfortable collar with foam padding
- Laces and threads will stay intact for years
- Can be snug for people with wide feet
- Sole tends to slip out after extended use
- Leather can wrinkle and stain if not kept clean
7. Clarks Women’s Wave Andes Walking Shoe
Clarks has a walking shoe called the “wave trek” that the Wave Andes is an updated version of. These are one of the best waterproof walking shoes because you can easily wear them while on an evening walk with the family, while running your weekly errands or out on a camping adventure!
They come in plenty of colors, giving you the option of picking which one you like best.
They are of course waterproof, keeping your feet dry from whatever may get on your shoes. Clarks Wave Andes have an ortholite footbed that keeps your feet comfortable for hours at a time.
The appearance of these shoes is designed to look like a tennis shoe combined with a hiking boot. The sole is rubber and EVA for support during long wear times.
The best feature of these shoes is Clark’s famous Wavewalk technology. This technology will reduce how tired your feet end up getting while wearing these shoes!
- EVA soles giving you extra support
- Wavewalk technology to keep your feet from getting tired
- Ortholite footbed for comfortability
- Comes in a variety of colors to choose from
- Can be worn during nearly any occasion
- Can be snug on the toes for some wearers
- Come stiff and tight out of the box
- Not enough cushioning on the insoles
A great pair of waterproof shoes to wear during a summer barbeque or out a nice summer walk. They come in several colors and could be perfect for people looking for much support while still having a comfortable and stylish shoe.
8. SCARPA Men’s Terra GTX Walking Shoe
Another hiking boot that made a list is Scarpa’s Terra GTX Walking Shoe. Don’t let the name confuse you, and these boots made for hiking, walking, and everything in between. It’s made out of brown leather, giving it a smooth design all around.
Scarpa did some updating to the midsole of this boot, allowing for even more support and stability throughout. These boots also have Gore-Tex comfort, keeping your feet nice and dry during your hike.
The outsoles are Vibram giving you incredible traction no matter if you’re walking on dirt, wet rocks, or a snowy trail.
There’s practically no break-in time with these boots, which is pretty rare, so you’ll be able to wear them right out of the box comfortably.
- Incredibly comfortable thanks to Gore-Tex
- Updated midsole to bring you even more support
- No break-in time, allowing for immediate wear
- Made out of leather, giving a sleek look and long durability
- Impressive traction on just about any surface
- The leather outside can make your feet hot
- Only comes in brown, which not every user may like
- You must wear thin socks as the boots are meant to be a bit snug
- Can be considered a little pricey to some buyers
These boots are made for you that will last for years and give you incredible support every step of the way.
With practically no break-in time, you’ll be able to put a pair of these to use as soon as you open them!
9. Vasque Men’s Breeze 2.0 Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Boot
If you like to hike for hours and don’t want to worry about rain, snow, or the water of rivers, Vasque makes one of the best waterproof walking shoes on this list with their Gore-Tex Hiking Boots.
The upper on these boots are made out of leather but also has airmesh to keep your feet from getting too sweaty. The collar padded for ultimate comfortability without having to worry about blistering during hikes.
The best feature? Vasque’s patented Gore-Tex technology that gives the lining of the boots the ability to be waterproof. They added a bumper on the toe of the shoe to keep your feet extra safe, no matter the terrain.
Your feet will comfortably support the EVA padded footbed of these boots. If you’re hiking in a place where it rains a lot or finds yourself walking near a body of water, you won’t have to worry about your shoes getting soaked while you’re wearing these hiking boots.
- Gore-Tex Technology keeping your feet dry
- Airmesh around the boot, so your feet don’t get sweaty
- Padded footbeds giving a comfortable boot for hours of hiking
- Bumper on the toe to keep your toes safe from injury
- Extra thick padded collar to keep your ankles comfortable and prevents blistering
- Has a long break in time which can make your feet hurt during that time
- Hard to get traction on wet rocks with these boots
- The stitching tends to come loose easily
- The toe box is narrow, adjust size accordingly
These boots can be a great fit for someone who loves to spend time outdoors but doesn’t want
to worry about throwing their socks up to dry afterward.
There are plenty of reasons why these boots might be an excellent fit for you with plenty of unique features like the Gore-Tex lining or the padded collar. If you have wide feet, consider sizing up, due to the narrow toe box.
10. Blondo Women’s Becca Waterproof Ballet Flat
If you’re not wanting to compromise style when it comes to finding a waterproof shoe, Blondo’s Becca Waterproof Ballet Flats could be a great choice for you! These shoes are wearable right out of the box without an uncomfortable breaking in period.
For flats, they’re comfortable for a decent amount of walking and fit your feet comfortably. Blondo’s flats conveniently slip right on without the need to tie or buckle anything. They have a rounded toe design with a leather upper on the heel.
The sole made from rubber and there is a slight bit of padding on the insole. Blondo Women’s Becca comes in a beautiful dust bag that you can use to store them in when you’re not wearing them. One of the best things about these flats is they come in a variety of colors.
- Come in several colors to fit your wardrobe
- Designed to be worn with casual or business attire
- Slips on, taking out the hassle of putting on shoes
- Padded insole makes walking long distances comfortable
- Exterior is leather, giving the shoe’s durability
- Relatively inexpensive making it easy on the wallet
- Shoe sizing isn’t true to size. You may need to size up
- The heel of the shoe can uncomfortably rub against the heel of your foot
If you’ve found yourself needing a great pair of a waterproof slip-on for work or a casual stroll in a coastal city, these leather Blondo flats could be an excellent fit for you!
They are durable, come in several colors, and will keep your feet dry without having to compromise style.
What to Look For Before Buying Waterproof Walking Shoes
Making sure your shoes fit properly is one of the most important factors of getting a new pair. You don’t want it too snug and causing blisters, but you also don’t want it so loose that your foot is slipping around inside.
If you’re buying online, make sure to read the reviews to see if the shoe has been true to size or not before buying so you don’t end up with a too-narrow shoe.
Making sure your shoes are lightweight can be a necessity for some, especially runners, while others want a heavy-duty shoe that will last through rough elements.
If you’re wearing shoes for fitness purposes, you want a shoe with a lower weight. Instead, a hiking shoe needs to be a bit heavy to keep you grounded on different terrains.
It may not be crucial for everyone, but the design is something to look for before your next shoe purchase.
This can be something as simple as making sure the shoe comes in a color that fits in your wardrobe or something more complicated, like making sure it has mesh in specific places to keep your feet cool.
Design can change what features the shoe may have, but it can also be an aesthetic aspect. If you want a shoe you can wear every day, you might not go with a hiking looking boot but maybe more of a tennis shoe design.
For any shoe you buy, you want to make sure that it’s durable. Having a long lasting shoe is excellent, especially if you’re planning on wearing them daily or in more extreme conditions.
Durability has a lot to do with the material, which talked about in detail below.
The material your shoe is made out of matters for several reasons. For example, leather is going to be longer-lasting than most other materials, but without mesh, leather isn’t breathable.
Having mesh throughout your shoe helps to keep your feet cool and prevent things like athletes foot.
Another thing that’s incredibly important to most people when making a new purchase is the price. For some, it makes sense to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a pair of new waterproof shoes that will last for years.
Others like to keep their budget at a more reasonable number. When window shopping for your new pair, consider what goes into the cost, how long the shoes will last, and choose which price point works best for you.
You’ve read a bit about break-in time for the shoes listed above. You want a shoe that is flexible without a long break-in period so you can use them right away without having to suffer through days of painful wear.
The flexibility also depends on the material of the shoe; for example, the flats listed first will be much more flexible than a pair of hiking boots on the list.
Making sure that your next pair of walking shoes have much support is incredibly important.
When you wear shoes that don’t have support, your feet can get sore, and it can mess with your whole body. Having proper support allows you to get a lot more wear out of a pair of shoes.
If you’re going to be hiking or near slippery terrain, you need to make sure the outsole of the shoe your choice has excellent grip, traction, and maybe even slip-resistant.
The more leisurely you wear the shoe, the less the outsole matters, but it is one of the features that help keep shoes intact for more extended periods.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How do you break in waterproof walking shoes?
A. You break in these types of shoes just like you would any other shoes by wearing them. If you want to give them a little test run, you can break them in while it’s raining or near water to test the waterproof aspect of the shoe (click here for the study)
Q. Can waterproof walking shoes be submerged?
A. Yes, most can be submerged and remain dry. This comes down to what the exterior made out of. If the shoe is made of leather, plastic, or rubber, it will likely stay dry while being submerged.
Q. What’s the difference between waterproof walking shoes and water resistant walking shoes?
A. Waterproof shoes should be unaffected by any liquid when water-resistant shoes keep shoes dry for things like rain or a beverage spill. Your foot could get wet wearing water-resistant shoes but shouldn’t be wearing waterproof shoes.
Whether you have a closet full of shoes and want to find a new pair or plan a hiking trip that you need waterproof walking shoes for, you’re now a lot more educated on which shoes cut in 2021.
The buyer’s guide should help you determine what’s essential when looking for your next pair, depending on what you’re using the shoes for.
There are plenty of things that play a factor like a price and size availability, but hopefully, now you’re a little more confident in deciding which pair to add to your closet next!