The right pair of shoes can make or break your workday, especially if you are employed in a job that requires you to be on your feet all day. If you work at a good salon, for example, you can easily be standing and walking around for 8-10 hours a day! Equip yourself with the best shoes for hairdressers so you can serve your clients day in and day out without discomfort.
Indeed, while many people think of salons as posh places of style and beauty, many don’t think about the toll it’s taking on hairdressers’ feet.
We’ve done hours of research and compiled a list of seven of the best shoes for hairdressers on the market. From the list, we chose the Dansko Women’s Professional Tooled Clog as our best bet because of the comfort it offers.
If those aren’t the style you’re looking for, keep reading—you’ll be surprised to find that there are a variety of stylish but supportive shoes out there on the market for you.
Best Shoes for Hairdressers
1. Dansko Women’s Professional Tooled Clog
A well-known name in the world of comfortable shoes, Dansko tops the list for professionals who are. Because of their comfort and durability, they are one of the best shoes for hairdressers.
This particular style is a classic clog. It comes in 12 different material or color choices and a broad range of sizes in narrow, medium, and wide widths.
Box leather is the best choice for workplaces that may be wet or greasy—like a hair salon. It’s not as porous as the Cabrio leather and can easily be wiped clean.
The insides are leather-lined over the foam to absorb moisture and odors. They feature a structured toe box and heel counter for a good fit and a shoe that won’t move around and cause discomfort.
The polyurethane outsole is durable and slip-resistant. It also absorbs shock while walking or standing.
Many reviewers raved about these shoes—most had been wearing this brand for over 20 years in their workplace or home.
Some found it hard to get the right fit, as the heel is not supposed to touch the back of the shoe when standing and walking, and they are European-sized.
Many recommended getting fit in an actual store before trying to order online. You can also check out this shoe size chart to guide you.
- These shoes are well-reviewed and popular among professionals in places where they stand or walk through long shifts.
- The leather materials are durable but easily cleaned.
- The polyurethane rocker bottom sole helps correct gait issues that may cause pain when on your feet all day, and provide great support and stability when standing.
- These shoes can be tricky to size correctly, as they are in European sizes and require a different fit than most shoes.
- The high platform of these shoes can sometimes cause rolled ankles in wearers.
- These shoes can be a bit big and clunky and are not very stylish.
- Many have complained about the quality of Dansko shoes in recent years after they sold the company. For those who find this to be true, Sanitas are still made in Europe by the previous Dansko brand.
Overall, you can’t go wrong trying a classic Dansko clog. They may not be the prettiest pair of shoes you’ve ever seen, but they can be dressed up more than a tennis shoe and provide some of the best support available for those who stand or walk on concrete all day.
2. Crocs Classic Clog Adults
The Crocs Classic Clog might be one of the most iconic shoes of all time, loved by many from infancy through the young-at-heart senior citizens.
These simple shoes come in whole sizes and a wide array of over 40 colors to choose from.
The clogs have a non-marking sole that offers a moderate amount of arch support, a pivoting heel strap for a secure fit or easy slip-on, and ventilation ports throughout the shoe for breathability.
Why would these be an excellent choice for hairdressers? Many have raved about the comfort offered by Crocs.
They are relatively affordable but last a long time, thanks to their sturdy construction material and simple design. They can also be washed easily and quickly if any hair products or color fall on them.
On the other hand, these are not the most stylish shoe, and some reviewers found that this version of Crocs is not nearly as well-made or well-fitting as past versions.
While some still swear by them as the most easy-to-care-for and comfortable shoe, others found the lack of half-sizes, the decline in quality, or the style of these shoes to be enough reasons to pass.
- These shoes come in over 40 colors and can fit both men and women.
- The shoes offer some arch support and are also good for wide feet.
- Crocs clogs are easy to clean and maintain.
- The ventilation holes keep your feet aired out and make drying time quick if they get wet.
- Some users found that the quality of these particular shoes has gone down over the years.
- True half-size wearers may find it difficult to get a perfect fit.
- The style of these shoes won’t fit every dress code or occasion.
If you’re looking for a casual work shoe for daily use in a kid’s salon or relaxed family salon, these shoes could be an excellent fit for you.
However, because of their looks, we would say that while there maybe some of the most comfortable shoes for hairstylists, they may not be the best overall choice.
3. Aerosoles Women’s Drive Through Slip-On Loafer
These stylish shoes from Aerosoles have great reviews and specs to them.
First, they come in both half and full sizes and different widths to find the perfect fit. There are seven different fun colors in either a synthetic snake or crocodile material.
For comfort, there’s a ¾ inch heel lift that is not visible from looking at the shoe, so you maintain that stylish flat look while giving your heel more support for standing and walking.
The insole is high-density foam, and the footbed offers memory foam comfort.
The outsole of the shoe offers some rubber nubs for traction. At first, some wearers found these to be slippery on hard surfaces, but after some wear, the cores gained the traction needed.
Reviewers raved about these shoes—they loved how stylish they looked, while still being affordable and comfortable.
The synthetic material does well even when it gets accidentally wet or needs to be wiped off. Some found them comfortable to wear, but not a good fit when they had to be on their feet all day or if they need to do some running in their workplace.
- These shoes come in half and whole sizes and different widths.
- The color and material choices are stylish but durable.
- The heel offers a slight lift for comfort and support.
- The foam insole and footbed are comfortable.
- Some wearers didn’t find these shoes supportive enough to be worn while on their feet all day.
- The rubber nubs on the bottom of the shoes seemed slippery at first and took some wear to gain traction.
If you’re looking for a stylish, comfortable, and affordable shoe to try while on your feet all day at the salon, these Aerosoles would be a great option to try.
They will be easy to keep clean and have some comfort measures added to rank them as one of the best shoes for hairdressers.
4. Skechers for Work Men’s Flex Advantage McAllen Slip On
For men, the Skechers McAllen Slip-On is a basic, no-nonsense solution for those who want a shoe that can be dressed up a bit while still offering the comfort of a tennis shoe.
These shoes come in half and full size, several widths, and sleek black or dark gray colors.
This slip-on shoe features mesh uppers that are soft and breathable with a slip-resistant outsole. The insole has memory foam cushioning for comfort and support.
These work shoes receive both praise and complaints amongst reviewers. Most have found them to be a good looking and durable option for work.
Many like the more “relaxed” feel of the fit of these shoes, and find that even when working on their feet all day, their feet feel great at the end of the day.
Some others found that these wore out quickly when used for anything except desk jobs—so that is something to consider when using these as a hairdresser.
You can also check 7 best non-slip shoes.
- These shoes come in both half and whole sizes and a variety of widths.
- The mesh uppers allow breathability and airflow to the foot.
- The memory foam insole is supportive and comfortable.
- These offer a more relaxed fit that is very comfortable for some wearers.
- These shoes only come in two colors.
- Some found the fit of these shoes to be too relaxed and loose for jobs requiring lots of traction or foot stability.
- Others found that the outsoles of the shoes started to come apart after just a short amount of wear.
For men looking for a simple, but comfortable, shoe to wear in casual settings and workplaces, these could be a great option!
They seem like they would hold up well, be easy to keep clean and go with a variety of outfits—all in all, a great option.
5. Dansko Women’s Professional Mule
Another offering from Dansko, these Professional Mule clogs are the classic Dansko shoe that can be seen on feet in many vocations.
The thing that sets these shoes apart is their comfort. They feature a durable polyurethane rocker bottom outsole, platform heel, padded instep collar, memory foam footbed, and polyurethane inner frame.
Cleaning of the oiled leather is easy—you should never wholly wet these shoes, but wipe dirt or stains off with a wet cloth.
The fit can be hard to get when ordering these shoes online—they are handmade, so even the same size of a shoe may slightly vary between pairs.
These also fit like typical clogs, with space needed between the back of the heel of your foot and the back of the shoe. Dansko recommends a pinkie-width space in the back.
Many reviewers have found these to be extremely comfortable, durable shoes that serve well both in the workplace and at home.
Some had trouble finding the right fit, as mentioned above, and suggested trying them on in an actual store before buying online.
- These shoes come in half and whole sizes and both medium and narrow widths.
- The oiled leather is durable but easy to maintain.
- The polyurethane inner frame, memory foam footbed, and rocker bottom outsole provide lots of comfort and stability when standing.
- Some wearers found it hard to get the right fit when ordering online—definitely order from someone with free returns to be able to get the perfect fit.
- If walking or stepping a lot in your line of work, these shoes can sometimes cause rolled ankles in those who struggle with stability.
Like the previous model, these Dansko clogs are worth considering as one of the best shoes for hairstylists. People with narrow feet will love these clogs given its sizes.
They can be dressed up or down, easily cleaned, and provide the support and comfort needed to your feet for standing throughout the day.
6. Clarks Men’s Tilden Cap Oxford Shoe
If you’re a man looking for a dressier shoe for daily wear in a high-end salon, Clarks is a great brand to start with.
They are comfortable, but these styles still give a bit of an Italian-made flare to the shoe with things like real leather and cap-toes.
These shoes come in three different leather colors and a variety of half and full sizes in two widths. The outsoles are rubber, which offers durability and a quiet step when walking.
On the inside, there is an Ortholite insert that works to provide comfort and support, reduce odors, and trap bacteria. This insole is not removable.
Reviewers found these to be a comfortable and stylish choice for daily use in the office and when wearing dressier attire like suits.
The sizing can be a bit different, especially with such a long toe box, although most found that going down a half size worked if their normal size wasn’t quite a perfect fit.
Some disliked that the Ortholite insert was not removable. They found that this wore down quicker than the shoe, but another type of insert would make the fit too tight.
- These shoes are made of durable leather and a rubber sole.
- They come in whole and half sizes and different widths.
- The Ortholite insert helps with odors and comfort.
- These shoes are dressy enough to wear with suits or dress pants.
- Some wearers found the rubber sole to be loud on certain surfaces.
- The insert is not removable, so these shoes cannot be used with different inserts.
These look like an excellent choice for hairstylists needing a dress shoe that can stand up to the salon day in and day out. Clarks is a well-loved brand that focuses on not sacrificing comfort for style.
7. Vangelo Professional Slip Resistant Clog Unisex Work Shoe
Similar to the Crocs, these rubber clogs are a great choice for those looking for a comfortable shoe that is slip-resistant and easy to maintain for standing on your feet all day.
These particular shoes are popular and endorsed by many chefs, but can work well for anyone looking for a good standing shoe for long hours of work.
The outsole of these shoes is patented for its ability to channel fluids and penetrate hard, slick surfaces to resist slipping. They are completely washable inside and outside, so they can be sanitized and clean as often as needed.
These shoes come in full sizes for both men and three colors—black, white, and lime green.
Many reviewers are chefs and have found that these shoes stand up to working long days on your feet and protect the feet from fluids and oils that may fall or be on the ground during the day.
For hairdressers, these shoes would be easy to keep clean, stable on slick surfaces when washing or styling hair, and supportive when standing all day.
Some wearers found that they ran a little small, and recommended ordering a bit bigger of a size.
- These shoes are highly-rated by reviewers and recommended by the American Podiatric Medical Association.
- They feature a high-quality and removable Ortholite insert for support and comfort.
- Maintenance-wise, they are washable and can be sanitized.
- Vangelo offers free exchanges when needing to find the perfect size and fit.
- These shoes only come in whole sizes, and some found it hard to get a good fit.
- They come in only three colors, and two are very bright.
- These shoes may not work style-wise for a salon setting.
While well-loved by reviewers and wearers, these shoes don’t seem like they would be the best fit for hairdressers thanks to the rubber material and clunky design.
What to Look Before Buying Shoes for Hairdressers
A hairstylist is on their feet all day, often taking many small steps in between long periods of standing.
Because of this, shoes that benefit other professionals in these types of environments (like nurses, food service employees, strippers, teenagers, and teachers) can also be beneficial to hairstylists.
While walking-type shoes may be an obvious choice for comfort, they aren’t always a style that goes well in a salon or with your style. Other types of shoes, like roofing shoes or construction shoes with steel toes, will also not work.
Clogs are a popular shoe style for women, and there are many more stylish and trendy options available on the market right now.
Wedges are another style that gives the appearance of heels while still providing a lot of support for the arch and heel.
Ballet flats are notoriously uncomfortable for those on their feet all day, although there are now companies remedying this with supportive and comfortable flats for commuters and those with jobs that keep them on their feet.
Depending on the climate of your city and place of work, this may or may not be as important of a factor.
If you are prone to sweaty feet, choosing a shoe made of breathable materials like mesh is a must.
For others who may not worry about their feet overheating, who work in cold conditions, or who may need to walk in wet conditions to and from your place of work, a thicker material like leather or a faux-leather would be a great choice.
This is the number one factor to consider when buying shoes that can withstand the pressures of the salon.
Your heel will need plenty of support, especially if you struggle with low or collapsed arches, heel spurs, or flat feet.
If you tend to feel a lot of pain in your bad knees, lower back pain, shins, or ankles after being on your feet all day, you’ll want to look for shoes to address issues related to overpronation, low arches, and plantar fasciitis.
If you have high arches and your foot tends to ache after a long day on your feet, you will want to focus on what’s supporting the midsole. Gel, foam cushioning, and plenty of high arch support will be most helpful to you. You can also find shoes that provide ankle support.
How hot your foot gets, what kind of climate you live or work in, and what kind of weather you’ll be walking to and from work can all determine the type of material your shoes should be.
You can wear shoes without socks, of course, but your best bet is to look for a breathable shoe. You’ll need shoes with mesh, microfiber, and suede; these can all be breathable depending on the construction of the shoe.
Leather and popular-faux leather products have the advantage of being more durable and waterproof, and usually a bit dressier.
This is another important factor in choosing a shoe for the salon workplace. You don’t want to have to choose between comfort and durability when investing in a shoe.
A rubber or wooden sole of your shoe will last longer than other materials like cork or foam. While those materials may offer some good comfort, you’ll need a shoe with a sturdy outsole to be able to make them last throughout the years.
You can also buy fake Yeezys, but think of what your feet need and how long those fakes last. When it comes to shoes, durability is a very important factor.
As mentioned above, the right heel and arch support is key in a shoe that can keep your feet comfortable while standing throughout the day.
Pay close attention to the kind of arch support offered in the midsole of the shoe.
Shoes with foam, gel, and other comfortable materials combined with things like heel cups and beveling can all add support and ultimate comfort.
Sometimes, these types of supportive shoes can be a little uncomfortable in the beginning, especially if you’re not used to wearing shoes like that. Give your foot some time to get used to them before wearing them all day at work.
If you’re a bit heavy, it also pays to buy shoes for overweight walkers to provide you the best support you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What kind of sole material is best on floors that may get wet and slippery?
A. Rubber soles are generally made to give the wearer a lot of traction on slippery areas. The treads in the outsole of the shoe can also contribute to more stability on slippery surfaces.
Q. How long can I plan on a pair of good shoes lasting when working on my feet all day?
A. Many professionals who work standing for the majority of their days find that a good quality shoe can last several years if properly cared for and well-fitting.
Some have found it a good idea to purchase a couple of pairs of the same shoes, which gives each pair a break after being worn and can make those two shoes last three to four times as long as a single pair would last.
Q. How can I clean my shoes if hair products drop on them?
A. It depends on the material. Rubber-type shoes can be wiped off or submerged into water for cleaning.
Other materials like the oiled leather and faux leather in this list can simply be wiped with a damp cloth.
Q. How do I know what to order in European sizes?
A. A quick way to know your general European shoe size is to add 33 to your current size in men’s shoes, or 31 to your current size in women’s shoes.
This is not true of all brands across the board, but it will give you a good place to start if trying on a brand of shoes in European sizes for the first time.
Working on your feet all day can take a massive toll on your feet. Depending on the type of shoes you’re wearing, they could be directly impacting your foot health for better or for worse during your long workday.
It’s possible to meld comfort with style when searching for the best shoes for hairdressers.
Thanks to this list and the research done for you, you can have confidence in a comfortable, stylish shoe that will endure many long hours at the salon, giving you the energy you need to focus on what you do best: make your customers happy.
- The 7 Best Shoes for Bartending of 2021
- The 10 Best Kitchen Shoes of 2021
- Top 10 Best Driving Shoes Reviews
- Hair Dressers, by healthday